sending osc from c++

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sending osc from c++

I am almost done building a custom controller. It sends serial data to a program I wrote in openFrameworks. I'm able to send OSC messages to Osculator pretty easily and then have them play on a vst synth in Ableton. My problem is that when I send the OSC messages to Osculator, a note stays on for a second and then goes off. If I change the code to continuously send messages, it just loops really fast. How do I get Osculator to behave the way it does with Touch OSC? For example with the keys template, the notes will stay on as long as you hold a key down, even though Osculator only registers the OSC message for a short time, not continuously.

Hey Koleeko,

I guess there is a problem with the messages you send to OSCulator.

You should send a message with a value over 0.5 to trigger a note ON, and under 0.5 to trigger it OFF.

There is no need to "sustain" the note and this has nothing to do with TouchOSC.

Cheers,

Cam

Comment

Thanks Camille. I'm honestly not sure what the message values are that I'm sending out. Right now the way I have it set up, I send a message and I designate an address that I want it sent to. In C++ (openFrameworks), my code looks like this:

ofxOscMessage m;

m.setAddress( "/keyz" );

m.addStringArg( "One" );

sender.sendMessage( m );

I do see the messages registering in Osculator, so It's definitely getting a note ON. The note just doesn't stay on. It plays and ends quickly. I'm trying to get it to play a note until it gets a note OFF message.

Comment

Alright, I see.

What you should do rather, is send a float argument as 1.0 when you want the note ON, and 0.0 when you want the note OFF. Thus, if you want to turn a note ON:

Code:
        ofxOscMessage m;

m.setAddress( "/keyz" );

m.addFloatArg( 1.0 );

sender.sendMessage( m );

If you send a string argument to OSCulator and bind an event to that message, it will be interpreted as a "transient" event, meaning it will be ON for a short while and quickly come back to 0.0.

Comment

camille,

That doesn't seem to have changed much. My code now looks like you suggested:

if (myByte == 0){

ofxOscMessage m;

m.setAddress( "/keyz" );

m.addFloatArg( 0.0 );

sender.sendMessage( m );

}

else if (myByte == 1){

ofxOscMessage m;

m.setAddress( "/keyz" );

m.addFloatArg( 1.0 );

sender.sendMessage( m );

}

(I'm reading bytes coming in from the serial port to determine which notes to trigger. Only one byte is being read at a time, so I'm pretty sure it's not turning itself off. There's also definitely only one message at a time registering in OSCulator.)

It seems to respond exactly the same with the new code. On for a short time then off. The only difference is that in my list of messages, I now have 0 and 1 in addition to the One, Two, Three, etc underneath /keyz. Otherwise it seems to be exactly the same.

Comment

Are you sure you are not sending 1 and 0 at the same time for the same address?

I don't have much details about your device, but it seems it has several buttons, then you should use a different address for each of them. For example you could use "/keyz/one", "/keyz/two", and so forth, or "/keyz/1", "/keyz/2", etc.

Comment

Camille,

I'm pretty sure that I'm only sending one message at a time and not a 1 and 0 simultaneously. I'm only reading one byte at a time from my sensors which I print to Xcode's console when they are read. I only see one message printing to the console at a time and I only see one little box light up green in OSCulator. I had each button (there are 20 total) set up with a different string or float:

m.setAddress( "/keyz" );

m.addStringArg( "One" );

or

m.setAddress( "/keyz" );

m.addFloatArg( 1.0 );

I just tried giving each an entirely different address as you suggested:

if (myByte == 0){

ofxOscMessage m;

m.setAddress( "/keyz/zero" );

sender.sendMessage( m );

}

else if (myByte == 1){

ofxOscMessage m;

m.setAddress( "/keyz/one" );

sender.sendMessage( m );

}

still nothing. ( ; _ ; )

Comment

he he, the problem here is that you are sending different values to different addresses.

What I really suggested previously was to assign a different address to different buttons, and then if they are pushed, add the float argument 1 or 0 depending on if they are pressed or released.

Something along the lines of (pseudo code):

Code:
                string address = GetButtonAddress (); // returns /keyz/one, /keyz/two, depending on the button being pressed

float state = GetButtonState (); // returns 1.0 or 0.0, depending on if the current button is being pressed or released

ofxOscMessage m;

m.setAddress( address );

m.addFloatArg( state );

sender.sendMessage( m );

Comment

AWESOME! That totally fixed it. My problem was because I have the same zero message regardless of what key is going off. I was thinking of zero as one of my 21 possible byte / OSC messages, instead of thinking of ON / OFF message pairs. Since I only have one zero message, I just need to have zero send OFF to all 20 of my addresses. Thanks so much. This was the last piece of code I needed to complete my project.

Comment

Working...
                  X