Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to send MIDI Note with Velocity of 127

Hello,

I'm trying to figure out how to set up Osculator so that I can send MIDI notes at full velocity. I've read the documentation, and searched your forums, but am still unable to figure this out. Can you provide a simple step by step please?

For example, I'm able to assign

/1/Loop1

Event Type = MIDI Note

Value = 12

Chan = 16

How do I assign a velocity of 127 to this MIDI note? thanks

Hello Djenferno,

You just choose an event of type "MIDI Notes", choose the note you want to trigger and it will have a default velocity of 127.

I meant "default" velocity because you can change it by sending messages to the event "Channel Velocity" which alters the velocity for a whole channel.

I hope this answers your question.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Thanks for your response. The velocity that is being sent is not 127 for me. It actually is 00. The first touch (on the Ipad, using Touchosc) registers the note at 00 velocity, then the release sends completely different note at 00 velocity. I have no idea why it's not the same note for the push as the release.

When you say ....

"I meant "default" velocity because you can change it by sending messages to the event "Channel Velocity" which alters the velocity for a whole channel."

Can you explain exactly how to do this? how to send messages to the event "Channel Velocity" in order to alter the velocity for the whole channel? Can you give me a step by step example please?

Thanks so much!

Comment

By the way, I'm using Bomes Midi Translator. I'm routing the output of the Ipad/Osculator/Touchosc to Bomes. I can see what notes are coming from the Osculator in the Log in Bomes.

I've got all my input velocities in Bomes set to 127, and the template is very big. it would take a very long time to redo my whole Bomes template. Thanks for your help.

Comment

First of all, I am not exactly sure how you want to set up the note event, so I can't tell you exactly how you should set things up.

However, playing a note is very simple.

For example, if you want to play a note with a button in TouchOSC.

- Hit the button so it is registered in the message list.

- Assign a MIDI Note event, and choose a note value.

The note you have chose will be played with a velocity of 127 when the button is pressed, and released when the button is released.

Now, if you want to change the velocity, TouchOSC is maybe not the best example here, but here's how you can do:

- make sure you have done the steps I have formerly described in this post.

- set up a fader, and touch it to register in the list

- assign a MIDI Note / Channel Velocity event to that fader.

When you change the fader position, you will select a new velocity, and if you hit the button, the note will be played at the velocity selected by the fader. This is only an example to describe how velocity works, I don't think this is what you'd want to do in real life.

There is a third way of doing things which is more advanced, and involves the usage of "MIDI Note w/ Params", but I wouldn't recommend using it in your case.

Comment

I've done this:

"For example, if you want to play a note with a button in TouchOSC.

- Hit the button so it is registered in the message list.

- Assign a MIDI Note event, and choose a note value."

The problem is that the note is NOT playing at velocity 127. It's playing at velocity 00. And when the note is released, it's playing at completely different note, also at velocity of 00.

Any idea why?

Comment

Absolutely no idea.

I just tried on my side to check if there is no problem with the instructions I gave.

Some questions:

- Have you tried to start with a blank document?

- Could you describe a bit more how you trigger the note?

Feel free to send my your OSCulator file (send it to camille at osculator dot net), and I'll have more precise check.

Comment

Some questions:

- Have you tried to start with a blank document?

* Yes I have.

- Could you describe a bit more how you trigger the note?

* I create a Push Button in Touchosc editor. I then go to Osculator and push the button on my Ipad. I assign a Midi Note event with the appropriate channel and and note number.

I'll send you the OSculator file in a few minutes.

Comment

Just emailed you. thanks!

Comment

Thanks!

This was actually a small bug affecting channel velocity on channel 16.

It has been fixed and will be included in the next release.

Comment

Working...
                    X