Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wii remote: Pitch & roll output as keyboard up/down/left/right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii remote: Pitch & roll output as keyboard up/down/left/right?

Hi all,

I'm trying to set OSCulator to allow the pitch and roll of the Wii remote to output basic keyboard up, down, left and right commands (i.e. tilt Wii remote left and it will output a keyboard left command). I would also like to be able to do the same kind of setting on the Wii balance board with virtual x and virtual y outputting the four directions instead) Can anyone help me please?

I can see how setting the pitch as an HID joystick X parameter would allow left/right control by tilting (and have successfully got this working on many games). However, the games I'm particularly keen to use this with do not have joystick input enabled which means I'll have to use the keycode event type.

I can also see that I can set pitch as a single keystroke, i.e. left. However, this means that whichever way I tilt the remote (even tilting right), it out puts a left keystroke.

Is there any way of setting it so that if the output of pitch is greater than a certain value it outputs one command and if it is lower than a different number it outputs a different command? This would be an incredibly useful function for gaming, music, etc.

Thanks,

Craig

Hello Craig,

Thank you for taking the time to give a nice and detailed explanation, I appreciate :-)

What you need here is to "split" the pitch, or roll attitude angle.

You can find many discussions on that matter by following this search on the forum.

Basically, using the Edit->Split function on a message will first duplicate it twice, and set the Scalings correctly in order to separate the two directions on an axis.

With the Wiimote, I would recommend you choose only two of the three attitude angles. Pitch and roll are the most common and useful in my opinion.

About the HID driver: I had recently a report from a user that was using OSCulator to play games (more specifically games that come with the Humble Bundle that had so much success). There is a small bug in the HID kernel extension that could cause some strange interaction with those applications. This bug has been fixed but the fix has not been yet released, so if you notice a problem that you think is related to HID, please let me know and I will send you an intermediate build.

Best Regards,

Camille

Comment

I forgot to mention that the split solution works indeed on any OSC message, not only those coming from the Wiimote or Balance Board, but also faders in TouchOSC for example.

Comment

Hi Camille,

Thanks very much, that was just what I was looking for. I hadn't expected to get such a helpful response so quickly! Tested it out and it's working brilliantly.

So far, I haven't noticed anything odd happen when using the HID driver. I've only been using OSCulator for one day mind but I'm thoroughly impressed with it. Shall definitely be purchasing it :-)

Craig

Comment

Working...
        X