Rewrite Address

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rewrite Address

First off, great software. Combining OSCulator and TouchOSC on the iPad is a sweet combination, I am having a lot of fun with it.

As I am making templates I want to make sure that i am not missing something. To get two way communication or feedback to TouchOSC I need to send an OCSRoute from an event to a host IP 10.0.0.1:9000 and then enter the control address /Page/Fader1.

Do I need to create a control address on the OCS routes page for every control I want linked up? Is the an automatic or easier way to do this?

Thanks

Jason

Ho Jason,

It depends on what device or software you are controlling on the other side.

For example if you are using TouchOSC and OSCulator to control Live, there is an automatic behavior occurring, and you mostly don't need to setup any back routings. When Live has learned a MIDI mapping, touching a mapped control in Live's user interface will trigger the respective MIDI message back to the source. OSCulator thus receives a MIDI message which has been previously mapped from TouchOSC to Live, so it looks up in the list of OSC messages, and if it sees a matching outbound MIDI message, it creates in turn an inbound back mapping OSC message (because TouchOSC responds to the same OSC addresses on input and output).

On the other hand, if you use OSCulator to control a software that has no "off the shelf" bi-directional communication semantics like Max. In this case, you have to create an inbound OSC routing for each outbound MIDI message (in TouchOSC's perspective).

Finally, if you are controlling an OSC device that has the same mapping behavior as Live, that is sending back messages with the same definition they had on the input (such device would be the Kyma sound workstation). You can activate the Preferences option "try OSC back mapping". what this means is: when OSCulator receive a new OSC message it has never seen before, it will lookup the list of other messages to see if there is one that is set up to send data to the same OSC address. If one is found, a OSC routing is set to send back data to the origin.

I hope this answer was not too convoluted...

Best,

Cam

Comment

Working...
    X