Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to disable messages?

Hi!

I would like to use a message type like "Latched Disable" so that I can turn off messages.

The scenario I would like to use this in is to reset the state of several controllers:

1. The user uses a TouchOSC toggle button to assign one or more rotary controllers to an X/Y control axis.

2. The configuration is 'stored' by toggling corresponding sub-messages

3. if TouchOSC or OSCulator is restarted, their configuration does not match anymore

4. (this is my wish:-) By hitting a reset button, all assignments are removed

For details, please have a look at my other post where you can find the OSCulator file.

In this file, these are the messages involved in the use case above:

Steps 1 and 2:

Code:
    /config/m_fx*_Z/N/M  (*= [1..4], Z=[X,Y], N=[1..4], M=[1..4] )
    The configuration is stored as the set of disabled/enabled submessages of:

Code:
    /masher/xy_fxN (N=[1..4])

Question: How can I disable all submessages of /masher/xy_fxN , independently of it's current status?

Many thanx in advance!

Volker

Simple answer (perhaps too simple), have you tried the "Latched Enable" event?

"Latched Enable" is not correctly named in the sense that it actually reverses the status of a message.

Maybe in your case, you could use "Toggled Enable", assigned to duplicates of a button.

Your post makes me think that it would be nice a super nice feature to be able to store a set of values and recall this set of values at any time. This way you would be able to sync both sides from one message. Rather exciting …

Another name than Preset would be needed, because it is not the same concept. Any idea?

Comment

As far as I can suggest, "Latched Enable" and "Toggle Enable" should be renamed.

As the Event Types are about "enabling" (or disabling) messages, the Event Type Name should begin with "Enable". Then, these sub types could be used:

- Enable Toggle Direct (prev. "Latched Enable")

- Enable Toggle Second (prev. "Toggle Enable")

- Enable On (enables the message independent of it's current status)

- Enable Off (disables the message indepdendent of it's current status)

- Enable Default (loads the message status from file again)

- Enable Store (sets a new default)

Only problem with the name is "Enable Second". I thought about "Enable Delayed", but none of both sounds right :-D

Comment

Hey volker,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll consider renaming those events in a future version.

I am not sure wether "direct" and "second" are the correct meanings, but starting the event type name with Enable sounds right.

Perhaps not the one I am currently working on, but certainly the one after.

Thanks!

Cam

Comment

Working...
        X