Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic Gesture - can't get OSCulator midi pitch output to work properly

Hi Everyone,

I'm working on my graduation project, Sonic Gesture, a program that translates hand gestures into OSC using computer vision. It's open source, so feel free to check it out: http://code.google.com/p/sonic-gesture/. There are some movies on the site also.

I'm working on outputting OSC now, and I think it is working. The problem is that I can't get OSCulator configured properly.

Here is the deal, my program outputs 3 OSC signals per hand. The first is a 'trigger' signal (0 or 1) when a hand is detected. Then there is a 'pitch' signal, this is a number between 0 and 1 that corresponds to one out of 28 unique hand symbols. The last signal is the Y position of the hand, which also is a value between 0 and 1. these signals are sent about 40 times a second with OSC.

I output this OSC into OSCulator, and osculator outputs midi into ableton. I get my sound working, but I can't get the pitch working. I have this configuration:

event type: Note Params

value: pitch

Channel: -

Event type: MIDI note with Param

value: /sonicgesture/leftPitch

Channel: 1

I receive MIDI in ableton, but The pitch doesn't change. I just receive a midi note the value of 'lower pitch' in the inputs screen. in the inputs screen I also switched off 'emulate pitch bend wheel' since that is not what I want. When I enable 'repeat note as long as it is active' it _does_ work, but then I receive a midi signal every couple of mseconds. I just want a press and release midi signal.

I think I tried all options, but maybe I missed something. Or maybe my OSC output is completely wrong. Does anyone has an idea/tip?

I solved the problem, the order of sending the signals was wrong...

The result:

This is Sonic Gesture, trained with 28 unique hand symbols. The program outputs OSC, which is translated into MIDI by OSCulator. This midi is then played by ...

Comment

Wow, wicked!

Comment

Working...
      X