Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSCulator Plug-in for Logic Pro

Description

The OSCulator Plug-in for Logic Pro is a "Control Surface Plug-in" allowing control of Logic Pro using the Open Sound Control protocol (OSC).

The aim is to create a clean and documented API so OSC applications are easier to interface with Logic Pro.

The plug-in is compatible with:
    • macOS Catalina 10.15 or later
    • Logic Pro 10.6.1, but not after (Logic Pro 10.7 and newer no longer support Control Surface Plugins like this one)

An older version of the plugin compatible with Logic Pro 9 can be found here.

How to get it?

Download the attached zip file.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by camille; 04-17-2022, 12:12 PM.

Hi Camille,

I have tried to get this to work in macOS Big Sur (as I am currently testing in it). However, I notice there is no longer a 'MIDI Device Plug-Ins' directory

So
    • /Library/Application Support/MIDI Device Plug-ins
    Does not exist anymore, as stated in the manual

As such I placed the plugin in /Library/Audio/MIDI Devices and this is not working

So I am not sure, where to place the plugin other than in the Logic Pro.app (which I do not want to do)

Please advise

Thanks,

Christopher

Comment

Hi Christopher,

You can just create the directory if it is missing. Usually on a newly installed system, this directory does not exist.

Best,
      Camille

Comment

So, you just create that directory?
        I wonder what creates it usually then... because I have never had to before
        Unless Native Instruments creates it for the Komplete Kontrol installation....

Christopher
        Last edited by Shad0wLandsUK; 02-17-2021, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Unfortunately something seems to have changed with Catalina and Big Sur;

I got this the other day on Catalina 10.15.7 (latest security update) and now with macOS Big Sur 11.2.1

Will not initiate in Logic Pro 10.6.1

Please advise

Regards,

Christopher

UPDATE: Made necessary changes under System Preferences > Security and Privacy > General (Allow Anyway)
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Shad0wLandsUK; 02-17-2021, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Hi Christopher,
            Please download the latest version of the plug-in, it has been updated recently. (it’s at the top of the page).

Comment

Hi, is there a download of the Plugin for OS Mojave?

Greetings

Comment

Hi Tam,

I would check the previous version here :
                Description The OSCulator Plug-in for Logic Pro is a "Control Surface Plug-in" allowing control of Logic Pro using the Open Sound Control protocol (OSC). The aim is to create a clean and documented API so OSC applications are easier to interface with Logic Pro. The plug-in is compatible with: Logic Pro 9.1.2 or

Best,
                Camille

Comment

Just out of curiosity, does anything like this exist for Cubase or any other DAW's at the moment?

Comment

I just started using the OSCulator Logic plugin for a project that I am working on where I am using a push2 and python to communcate with Logic.
                    Python app to communicate via Midi and OSC to Logic Pro X and Ableton Push2. Requires Push2 / Logic Pro X / OSCulator. - zurie/LogicX-Push2

One of the things I am trying to understand is... I see 1 commands for the same thing.. say /Logic/Transport/Play and /1/Play

and then in there I see /1/Play going to -> /Logic/Transport/Play etc. sorta like a indirect route? or loop? or what exactly is the concept there with that? I had to go in LOGIC and change the transport to /1/Play for it to start working... is everyone going to have to do that? why couldn't i just use /logic/transport/play or could I? maybe I am missing some readme, docs on the logic plugin and how and why its done that way?

another question is... I see that Logic has the ability to accept keystrokes. and since I am building my tool specifically for logic, and therefore indirectly mac.... and I am making Osculator required to do alot of the things I am doing... why not just map everything to keystrokes? would one have an inherit advantage over the other? like I am using /logic/transport/play as a OSC message to play but not sure if theres a benefit or a speed benefit between apple keystroke vs logic listening to osc message

and lastly... I am using OSCulator to send my program some variables, things like... are we playing / recording / is the metronome enabled or disabled.

that way I could click play in Logic and my push2 lights up the play button.

thats all working but I had to listen in my app for a specific OSC path and get the data from those variables. is there some 'central' location where you get a massive dump of OSC data in some specific route? or does all of the data you send and receive have to be sculpted by OSC and specifically sent...

just wondering if theres a spot that has alot of this data already and I am just not listening in the right spot for it?

thanks!
                    Last edited by Zuriel; 06-30-2021, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Zuriel.

I guess /1/Play is the message sent from an app like TouchOSC to OSCulator.

The advantage of mapping OSC messages is that you can send them over the network. So for example if you are preparing an art installation where OSCulator does not run on the same computer that runs Logic, then you want to use the network. Keystrokes are fine as well, just mind that they are not always the same from computer to computer, for example it can depend on the language the operating system is running.

As for your last question, I'm afraid there is no easy solution. I understand you would like to be able to receive in your app all messages that OSCulator receives, like some sort of delegation. You could use the oscbroadcaster for that. I'm not sure how you would interact with sending messages, as OSCulator is able to send to many targets.
                      In general, you want to design things so the OSC messages flow like in a network, so yeah, you will have to forward the specific messages you are interested in to your app.

Best,
                      Camille

Comment

Having a hard time getting Logic 10.7.3 to recognize the bundle in Mac OS 12.3. Installed per the instructions, and added to the app itself as well. Enabled in system prefs / privacy settings as well. Any ideas?
                        Last edited by dnonkong; 04-08-2022, 12:48 AM.

Comment

According to https://support.apple.com/guide/logi...ls718dd5b2/mac, this may be an M1 issue?

"To use a control surface with an Apple Silicon Mac computer for which no built-in plug-in is available, consult the manufacturer’s support materials for the control surface to see if an MDS is available."

Comment

Same situation here, new M1 MBP and I followed the instructions : OSCulator never shows up in Logic. It is a very important part in my composing workflow.
                            It seems like a MDS component is needed too.
                            Last edited by LoicD; 04-16-2022, 11:50 PM.

Comment

Hi Loic,

I just checked in with Apple about this issue.
                              They told me Logic Pro Control Surface Plugins are no longer supported, and therefore not loaded on Apple Silicon, this is what dnonkong refers to. I would like to replace the OSCulator Plug-in for Logic Pro with a MDS (MIDI Device Script, written in Lua language), but the documentation looks quite sparse at the moment. Once again, a deprecated feature with no obvious migration path…

Comment

Working...
                              X