receiving NRPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• receiving NRPN

I can receive CC from my BCR2000 in the range of 0..127 to pass to the software I need. But that has 65.535 steps. I can map it out, but the resolution is pretty bad.
    The BCR has encoders and I can set it to send NRPN in the range of 0..16383, which would be enough resolution. I need this number passed on as a variable in an OSC message

However, if I set up CC1 as NRPN, it will be recognized in OSCulator as CC1 and CC33 at the same time, still in 0..127 range. I have seen here discussions about OSCulator using NRPN, but it doesnt seem to be working for me. Is there a setting I need?

Hi rbhun,

You can do that using the MIDI Template system to define a NRPN template.
    It required that you know how a NRPN message is made, and I can understand it's not easy.

If you have more details on the exact NRPN your controller send, I can help you design a solution.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

we actually emailed about this, and I have successfully created the template. However, if there is a way to make this more easy, that would be helpful - we have to program 5-6 variables for 16 layers, so thats 96 templates to be created.

Another interesting thing, is the reverse of this...let me describe
      this would be a Behringer BCR2000 controlling Mbox thru OSC. Lets say I want the first pot of the BCR to control X position on Mbox. They actually use 65,535 steps, but I am okay with 14 bits, so I program my pot as NRPN, then it has 16,383 steps. From the below screenshot you sent me I was able to get these 16,383 steps into OSCulator, strech that into 65,535 (actually, 0-1) and send it to Mbox.

Now, the reason I selected the BCR2000 is that it has encoders, not hardware knobs. It also has a led ring around the knob to let you know where roughly it is. I needed this so when I recall a preset in Mbox, the hardware knobs would instantly overwrite my preset x y settings. With an encoder, however, I can send the new value from Mbox back into the controller, and it would 'jump' the value of the encoder (along with the led ring) to the recalled value.
      But for this, I have to read 0-65,535 from the OSC, and, I guess, truncate it to 14 bits and somehow send it to the hardware over NRPN...can that be done? Can OSCulator write NRPN to MIDI?

Another way would be to set the BCR to relative, increment, so it only says increase this number by one. That can be done somehow, but I had no luck making it work.

Comment

Working...
      X