Controlling Digico SD7 Fader with MIDI/OSC command

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Controlling Digico SD7 Fader with MIDI/OSC command

What is the command string to control a fader on the Digico SD7 console via an external midi CC? Thank you very much

The command to control an input channel fader is /Input_Channels/13/fader where 13 is the number of the channel in the session file (it does not refer to bank, layer, etc). The value you need to send is the dB value of the fader, a range from -150.0 to 10.0

The SD will only send and receive commands to control the mixer to "Digico Pad" OSC devices. In other words, in the External Control section of the SD you need to set it up with the same steps you would a new iPad app connection. Because the SD can only utilize 1 iPad connection at a time, you can't use OSCulator and an iPad SD app simultaneously.

Comment

Thanks you Beasound!!!
      therefore it is not possible to control the SD 7 with Osculator ..... Too bad ..... That you know there is another alternative way? Thanks so much

Comment

With OSCulator it is possible to control faders, mutes, macros, and virtually anything the Digico iPad app can control. But the SD can only be remote controlled by 1 device at a time, if you use OSCulator you cannot also use the Digico iPad app. At least, that's true for an SD9, 10 or 11, I've never tried with an SD7.

In OSCulator you have to manually define the SD as an OSC device, it will not auto-detect. In the External Control section of the SD you input OSCulator's IP, define the ports correctly, and tell the SD its a Digico Pad (NOT a Generic OSC controller). I believe at this point you also have to click the "Load" button and tell it to load iPad commands.

When this setup is done correctly, you should see the OSCulator window flood with hundreds, if not thousands, of OSC messages describing the input and output settings of every channel on the SD. And you can start mapping them to the controller of your choice.

e: I will point out though, the SD's OSC implementation is not easy to work with. For instance, the faders expect values from -150 to 10. By default OSCulator is going to scale your CC controller from 0-1, not -150-10. Changing the scaling is easy enough, but if you think about it most of those values are worthless. You never want to set a fader from -150 to -60, that's only the bottom 2mm of a real fader. But it will be the bottom 70% of your CC values.

To fix this you have to split everything you map into multiple events, and scale them differently based on the incoming values. If you know exactly what you want to control, this is reasonable for 8 or 10 channels. It is extremely tedious to make a file where every possibility is mapped and scaled, so you can arbitrarily assign channels to MIDI faders.
        Last edited by beasound; 06-01-2021, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Here are some screenshots from a project with CC messages controlling SD faders. It's a little messy, but CC0 on Channel 11 is controlling input channel 51. There are 3 options incoming CC can take. If it is 0, it scales to -150. If it is 1-45 it scales from -60 to -20. If it is 46-127 it scales from -20 to +10. (2 of the splits do nothing, I'm not sure why splitting an event twice results in 5 routes but that is how OSCulator does it). This splitting/scaling made my MIDI fader behave approximately like a fader on the console, it might need to be adjusted for other applications or controllers.

If you want the MIDI controller to follow changes on the SD (if it has motors or lights), you need to do the same scaling in reverse, translating the SD's OSC fader messages to MIDI CC events.
          Attached Files

Comment

Very thank you beasound: today I check yours directions on my SD 7 and write you my result!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X