Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSCulator not responding to SpaceNavigator unless app is in foreground (Monterey)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSCulator not responding to SpaceNavigator unless app is in foreground (Monterey)

I just got a new Mac Studio Ultra (Monterey) and I'm in the process of porting everything over from my Mac Pro 5,1 (Mojave).

I use OSCulator to translate SpaceNavigator controller movements into outgoing MIDI CC messages. Everything works fine as long as OSCulator is in the foreground. But as soon as the application loses focus, it stops receiving (and therefore, sending) messages.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Does anyone monitor this forum?

Comment

Hi Karl,

Could you please tell what version of the 3dconnexion driver is installed on your computer?
      The problem is most likely a bug in the driver.

Best,
      Camille

Comment

Hi Camille,

Thanks for replying. I'm using the latest driver:

3DxWare 10
        3DxMacCore version 1.2.2.285 (285)
        3DxWare version 10.7.2 (3454)

SpaceMouse Wireless
        Firmware 4.38
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Hi Karl,

I just upgraded to the latest driver version and could not replicate this behavior with default settings.

I know the 3dconnexion driver is able to activate the device based on frontmost applications, could it be that you have configured yours like this? I would recommend trying to reset the driver to its defaults (in the 3dconnexion pane, go to tools tab, click "Use Defaults").

I have been able to replicate the unwanted behavior by:
          - adding OSCulator as a new application profile
          - switching back to the "Any Application" profile
          - setting all Axes mapping to "Disabled" (but leave 3D Mouse for the "OSCulator" profile).
          This settings prevents routing the SpaceNavigator Axes when OSCulator is not frontmost.

Clicking "Use Defaults" enabled me to restore the normal behavior.

Camille

Comment

I'm now using a new Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Monterey and still having the same issue. The settings are set as "Use Defaults".

Comment

Originally posted by karlfranz View Post
              I'm now using a new Mac Studio M1 Ultra running Monterey and still having the same issue. The settings are set as "Use Defaults".
              The same problem here.
              I just wasted 26€ for a non working app!
              I have a Mac MIni M1 with the latest Monterey. I used to be able to use the SpaceNavigator with its own HID driver inside Max/MSP on older Mac OS versions.
              This stopped worlking with MAX 8.

I have reset everything to defaults several times. I tried an older driver, that did not work at all. So I reinstalled the latest driver, but now nothing works at all!!

I tried it out with MIDI Monitor and it receives the MIDI-events just fine, - but ONLY when OSCulatior is in the foreground. If I switch to MIDI Monitor, it will not receive any MIDI message from OSCulator, but when I switch back to OSCulator, all the missing events flush into MIDI Monitor!

Shurely disappointing as I am working on a live-patch for a concert next week.

Zeb
              Last edited by Zebulon; 06-25-2023, 01:10 AM.

Comment

Interesting. I hadn't noticed that the messages all get queued up when OSCulator doesn't have focus and then get dumped out when it comes back to the foreground. Mine does the same thing. Perhaps this will help camille figure out what's happening?

Comment

Zebulon,

I am sorry it does not work for you, and dearly wish you will find a solution in time for your show.

OSCulator is free to use as long as you are not bothered by the nagging window.
                  You can try it for as long as you like, and the features work exactly the same when you purchase a license.

Also, OSCulator depends on 3Dconnexion's drivers. The integration code with the 3Dconnexion framework is so thin, there is nothing really I can do. And obviously OSCulator is not designed to work differently when running foreground or background.

My only suggestion at the moment is to try another driver version, or try another macOS version.

Best,
                  Camille

Comment

Is that your cheap way out? Trying another MacOS version?
                    It is clearly a problem of OSCulator and 3Dconnexion. So why don´t you step on someones toe at 3Dconnexion?
                    You are promoting your product as a solution for using a Spacenavigator in a OSC/MIDI enviroment, which is unique and exactly what people want.
                    So, live up to it and make it happen!
                    best,
                    Zeb

Comment

Users have problems with 3Dconnexion drivers all the time.
                      Educated users send their feedback to 3Dconnexion, e.g.: https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?t=53412

Have you purchased your device from me?
                      Did I promoted guaranteed SpaceNavigator service?
                      I don't write the drivers, not build the device.

If you are not satisfied, I will refund you.
                      Just uninstall the license, and once it's done send me a message to camille at osculator dot net.

Be warned though, more trolling will result in communication loss.

Comment

karlfranz, messages are not really queued up.
                        With OSCulator in the background, try pushing a button, then bring OSCulator frontmost.
                        You will see the button message is not delivered.

Also, when a button is pressed, a bunch of unrelated messages are sent.
                        This is not the normal behaviour.

Comment

camille

I think I see what you mean, but I'm not sure. Here's what I just tried.
                          1. Launch the MIDI Monitor app.
                          2. Clear the monitor window at the bottom of OSCulator.
                          3. Click on the Desktop to remove focus from OSCulator.
                          4. Bring OSCulator back to foreground.
                          When I do this, the monitor at the bottom of OSCulator displays:
                          From OSC Input
                          /sp/1/trans/xyz „Trt 0.50 0.50 0.50
                          /sp/1/rot/xyz
                          /sp/1/button/1
                          /sp/1/button/2 ,f 0.00?

This looks like OSCulator has just received the default values when the SpaceMouse is at rest. Is this what you're saying is not normal?
                          Since OSCulator thinks it just received some messages from the SpaceMouse, it then sends out the corresponding messages I have defined in my routing, so the MIDI Monitor app shows:
                          17:35:49.070 From OSCulator Out Control 16 106 0
                          17:35:49.070 From OSCulator Out Control 16 107 0
                          17:35:49.080 From OSCulator Out Control 16 109 0
                          17:35:49.081 From OSCulator Out Control 16 108 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 110 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 111 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 102 64
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 103 64
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 100 64
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 101 64
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 104 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 105 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 98 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 99 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 106 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 107 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 109 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 108 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 110 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 111 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 102 64
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 103 64
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 100 64
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 101 64
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 104 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 105 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 98 0
                          17:35:49.096 From OSCulator Out Control 16 99 0?

The weird thing is that sometimes, after a system reboot OSCulator behaves properly (i.e. sends messages even though it's not in the foreground). So I know it can work properly, it just doesn't do it reliably or predictably.

Also, have you seen my other thread about the possibility of making OSCulator minimize to the menubar instead of to the system dock? I think this would be a nice feature.

Comment

camille
                            Hi, any other info on this from my previous post?

Comment

Hi camille

Bumping this message to see if there's any updates.

Comment

Working...
                              X