Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sysex

Hey there,
    I already browsed the forum and googled but didn't find any information about actual Sysex support of OSCulator.
    If it isn't possible, has anyone any suggestions how to format midi to osc myself? Perhaps with C# or C++? I'm currently programming in C#, using OSCulator as a bridge to convert some midi control (and hopefully soon sysex) data sent by a DAW to osc.

Hi Funky.Fred,

Some work has been done to support MIDI SysEx in the next major release of OSCulator.
    I'd be interested to know more information about the SysEx data you would like to convert to OSC. Would you mind sharing more details?

Thanks!
    Camille

Comment

Hey Camille,
      i'm currently working on a gesture based daw controller. my first approach was writing the interface using midi. the current status is that i'm using osc as main protocol but i also want to use midi to talk to older digital mixers and to those daws which don't support osc yet.
      the sysex data differs between the control protocols. e.g. mackie control uses sysex to pass its manufacurer id, to pass channel names and their specific routing inside the daw/mixer.
      my approach using osculator now is just routing the translated midi input to my osc servers.

Comment

Terrific.
        Do you need Text support? Checksums?
        OSCulator's future SysEx system will support a single value decoding only (that is, you can not extract two changing values from a single SysEx message).

Comment

Hi Camille and Funky.fred

Out of interest could this mean control of ProTools via sysex info sent as a virtual HUI device?

I'm very interested in building some ProTools controls in to my TouchOSC layouts but this seems to be more than a little tricky at present

Cheers,
          James

Comment

Hi James,

I am not sure if that would be possible, do you know if I can find a reference for HUI somewhere?

Best,
            Cam

Comment

Hi Cam,

Well I came across these docs here:

Looks like someone spent quite a bit of time listening to all the MIDI that the HUI spits out.
              I'm no programmer... but slowly becoming interested out of necessity!

All I really want to do.. (.. which is perhaps beyond the scope of what can be achieved with HUI) is grab hold of several bands of EQ at once.. or any number of automatable functions for that matter.
              VControl is getting close, but unless Im mistaken the plugin control is essentially just a mouse emulator

From what I hear the next ProTools (11) is still a universe away from accepting OSC or opening it up to external control that is not of their choosing (... $$)

Interested to know what you think might be possible

Cheers,
              J

Comment

Hi James,

Thanks the link is an awesome source of information.
                I can see that HUI needs a "ping" at regular intervals which discards right now the possibility of using OSCulator's SysEx encoding directly in conjunction with TouchOSC to control ProTools via HUI. A more specific solution would be needed in order to produce the "ping" message and interpret the replies as well.

Best,
                Cam

Comment

Hey Cam,

Yeah I came to the same conclusion tonight as I'm reading more about how ProTools talks to the HUI's ---- I'm guessing perhaps these guys are using a Max patch in-between OSCulator and ProTools.. Hopefully Schlossax will return from his hiatus and shed some light on how he got his patch working

Cheers
                  J

Comment

Working...
                  X