Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to control an Yamaha DM1000 thru Oscultor an OSCTouch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to control an Yamaha DM1000 thru Oscultor an OSCTouch?

Hay!

I'm Huby, and I do a lot of live-sound for concerts etc.

I'd like to be able to command the monitors on stage (ex. the aux outputs 1 to 8) of an Yamaha DM1000 or DM2000 by means of an iPhone by using this excelent OSCTouch application (v2.9.3), (for instance by using the bank 2 of the Mix 16 layout)... Is there someone who allready had some viable results? I don't seem to get the communication between the DM's and Osculator.. I try to communicate thru the Apple AIC bus directly between the OSCTouch and the DM's, or by using use the Studio Manager 2.32 and the OSCTouch, but I'm lost here: they don't seem to speak the same language: these component don't seem to be able to communicate between each other. I'm not very good at Midi and the OSC language, and I'm a bit lost on how to "translate" between Midi and OSC.. The MidiPipe application remains mysteriously silent as well.. I'm shure I'm doing something fondamentaly wrong, but what?

All help will be verry much apréciated!

Thank you to everyone, and specialy to Camille for this great app!,

Huby

Hi Huby,

I can see that you have all the good ingredients to controlling your DM1000, but perhaps not in the right setup.

I have downloaded the DM1000 Manual on Yamaha's website, and on page 235, chapter 18, I can read that the DM1000 is able to receive and transmit control changes if they are configured in the mixed. There is some basic setup you need to do on the mixer before you can receive and transmit MIDI message, see page 238.

Also, I'm not sure wether the Studio Manager can be useful, I don't know this software. I think the best would be to directly send messages to the DM1000, but for this you will need a physical MIDI Interface. On another hand, if Studio Manager is able to send MIDI messages to the DM1000 on its USB port, then this software should be able to receive MIDI on a virtual port, like almost all of them. Check out the preferences of SM to see if there is no possibility to use OSCulator's virtual MIDI out (in this case, you will not need to use MIDI Pipe since everything will be route internally).

Here is a check list you can follow in order to sent messages from TouchOSC, convert them to MIDI with oscltr, and send this MIDI to the DM1000.

- First, you need to have TouchOSC send messages to OSCulator.

- Then, configure OSCulator so it outputs a MIDI Control Change, for example try with control change 7 (General MIDI defines it as Volume control).

- Next, setup MIDI Pipe or MIDI Patchbay to route messages coming from OSCulator to your MIDI Interface's physical port. The IAC driver will be of no use for you: it is only a convenient tool for legacy software. Not really useful anymore.

- From there your DM1000 should receive MIDI Control Change 7 on channel 1. If you have correctly configured the desk to respond to that message, then you're all set!

Best,

Cam

Comment

Dear Camille and All;

Thank you for your (very sift) reply! :-) I realy apreciate the pertinence of your follow-up!

So I tried your sugestions, and yes things seem to get working now, but lots of questions remain..

The connection between the DM1000 and OSCulator is made by using the Midi Pacthbay application...

I'm now able to command the AUX sends of the DM2000 by the OSCTouch using OSCulator, you can find my interfaces here. I made an personalised Parameter to Control Change assignment table (page 240 of DM1000 manual) to get the Aux send faders in the table, but I wonder what the "NRPNs (Non Registered Parameter Numbers)" are.. Maybe its an option which can control things more easy?

The remaining problem is that the OSCTouch doesn't react to changes made on the faders of the DM1000, althaugh the red "recieving data" light on the iPhone lights up when I move the faders of the DM1000.. What am I doing wrong here??

Since I can only acces the DM1000 and DM2000 on a sporadic intervall, time for the developement of the "interface" is very scarce, so that's why I'd prefer to use the Studio-Manager software. The StudioManager software communicates with the DM2000 by "System Exclusive". Is there a way to make OSCulator read and write these "System Exclusive" messages?

Btw, what are NRPNs (Non Registered Parameter Numbers)?

Thank you again for all your time and answers..

Huby

Comment

Hey Huby,

You can find some more information on NRPN controls here. In essence, these are control changes made of two aggregate control changes, in order to increase the number of values a control change can have (going from 7 bits = 128 values to 14 bits = 16384).

OSCulator doesn't support the use of RPN and NRPN control changes.

If Studio Manager only communicates using System Exclusive messages, then you may be out of luck. This means the software is using a proprietary protocol to exchange messages with MIDI applications. This protocol is surely documented, but that would be too much work to implement it fully in the meantime.

As for the bi-directional question, I guess it would be useful to see how the MIDI messages coming from the DM1000 are flowing. You should use the application MIDI Monitor to check if the DM1000 is correctly sending data back from the physical interface. If this is the case, I would suggest you check that MIDI Pipe is properly set-up to route back MIDI messages to OSCulator.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hay all!

I'd just like to remark all you people, that there is now a ready-made solution for controlling a Yamaha mixer by iPhone or (even betteer) an iPad exists!!
          The team of StereOSCope now sell a excelent solution fot the most of the Yamaha mixers.
          Offcourse they use the OSCTouch layout editor.
          Try it out!
          Kind greetings,
          Huby

Comment

One remote for all mixers they say, but you have to buy the base application, and a plugin for each mixers ...
            IMHO, I find this remote a bit expansive!
            And they only sell to businesses, weird.

Comment

Working...
            X