Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reporting events with greater precision than console log

Hello,

I'm setting up Osculator to record data from a Wiimote during a psychology experiment. I've tried console logging, but that way I can only get a timestamp with a precision of one second. Is there any way to have data logged to a file, perhaps, with timestamps in milliseconds?

(At the moment I'm not particularly concerned about jitter, drift, and so on. I'd just like to be able to measure the time elapsed between events that happen within approximately 3 seconds of one another.)

Thanks,
    Alfred

Hi Alfred,

If you are a little bit familiar with the Terminal, you can launch OSCulator from the Terminal, and copy the output to a file (or directly record the output to a file).
    Considering OSCulator is installed in the /Applications folder, here is the command you need to type in order to launch the executable:

Code:
    /Applications/OSCulator\ ƒ/OSCulator.app/Contents/MacOS/OSCulator
    You can then use "Console Log" / "Simple Log" events in order to output the results to the Terminal. For example, using this technique with the X axis of the wacom tablet gives :

Code:
    2011-01-03 21:14:17.307 OSCulator[5348:903] /wacom/1/puck/0 [0: x]: 0.475780
    2011-01-03 21:14:17.314 OSCulator[5348:903] /wacom/1/puck/0 [0: x]: 0.478640
    2011-01-03 21:14:17.318 OSCulator[5348:903] /wacom/1/puck/0 [0: x]: 0.481290
    Which as you can see gives you very precise timestamps, refreshed in real-time.

Also, here is a little introduction to the Terminal in case you don't know at all how to use it:
    Mac OS X isn’t just known for it’s fancy GUI. It’s known for it’s powerful underlying core OS, UNIX, and the Terminal is the way that you can access the UNIX

Best Regards,
    Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

I've been happily using this console logging technique in version 2.10.7.1. But I noticed that in beta20 the data are reported with less precision (only out to 2 decimal places, instead of 6). Is there some way to re-enable the higher precision console logging?

Thanks,
      Alfred

Comment

Hi Alfred,

Thank you for reporting this issue!
        When sending a float argument as a string in a OSC message, the value is truncated to 2 characters of precision. This affected pretty printing of OSC messages, and now printing has full precision again.

I will release a new beta with the fix, but only when I have enough changes, so I'd suggest you ping me with an email and I'll send you the updated build.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Working...
        X