Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Communication between I- phone and Live

Hi,

I am using my i-phone with the mix 16 template.

My computer is a mac running live.

The fader in live are setup as midi cc.

I see the fader move in live when i touch the i phone, but I don't see the fader

move on the i-phone when I move the fader in live.

Any ideas????

Hey Jason,

Did you follow this tutorial?

What version of each software do you use, are you sure these are the latest versions?

Thanks!

Cam

Comment

Went through the tutorial. Everything is set up the same way.

It still is not moving the fader on the phone.

I have Osculator 2.8.1

mac version 10.5.6

Ableton Live 7.0.10

It was working when I was using the demo.

Any thoughts??

Comment

Alright, maybe what happens is that the OSC connection back to the iPhone is corrupted. I would suggest that you delete the messages starting with "/midi/cc" from the list.

When you will change a fader or knob in Live it will register the MIDI message in OSCulator again and it should restore the connection properly.

If it is still not working that way, please send me your OSCulator document to camille at osculator dot net. Thanks!

Comment

Ok , it's working. thanks Camille you Rock.

Next question for you.

I'm setting up 5 i-phones to control our in-ear monitor mix.

Each phone is on is it's own midi channel.

I'm only using one phone to test this.

I know with each phone I can have a different outgoing port number, but can each phone have a different incoming port number?

I know it sounds like a stupid question. So when i move a fader in live it's going to move the fader on each phone.

Any thought

Comment

We had all 5 i phones working this past week, as far as controlling live. Now i'm trying to have the computer communicate back to the phones, so whenever we open our session for shows all the phones default back to everyones own monitor mix.

I have a feeling I have to do something with the parameters

Comment

Hi Jason,

Controlling Live with several iPhones should not be a problem, however I have not tested it yet in great details.

• Connect each iPhone, and bind the MIDI events using a different MIDI Channel for each phone (this is how OSCulator will make the difference between each TouchOSC instance).
              • Now, in Live bind the received MIDI events, and move a fader or button to send the event back to OSCulator.
              • OSCulator will route the events back to the respective TouchOSC. You should be able to see it is working by looking at the labels in the Value column.

If that doesn't work correctly, please let me know, I'll try to reproduce that at home (need to find another iPhone).

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hey Camille,

We used osculator to control our monitor mix's this past friday. All the guys loved it. We had sound check done in like 8 mins.

But i'm still running into the issue of the i-phone only being able to control the faders in live. When I move the faders in live i only get a response on one of the phones. I spent the past few days trying to figure it out.

I broke it down really simple. I ran ableton live with two sessions open in osculator. One was set to input 8001, the other to 8002.

I only used one fader on each phone. ( /2/FADER1 ) one phone had the fader set to midicc 01 channel 1, the other phone had the same fader set to midicc 01 channel 2. I then set each fader on a phone to a different fader in live. ( Fader one in live is in sync to fader 1 on the I phone set to input 8001 , and fader 2 is set to the fader on the other i phone on input 8002. )

I tried switching the incoming port on the i phone one to 9001 and the other i phone to 9002.

This is what my session looks like in each osclator window

Session 8001

Message Event Type value Channel[b]

/2/Fader1 midi cc 01 02

/midicc1/1 - - -

/midicc/cc1/2 osc Routing default: iphone(touchosc) ->/2/fador 1

Session 8002

Message Event Type value Channel[b]

/2/Fader1 midi cc 01 01

/midicc1/2 - - -

/midicc/cc1/1 osc Routing default: iphone(touchosc) ->/2/fador 1

Any thoughts

Comment

Ah, that report is very useful thank you.

From what I can see, it looks like the routing back is made to the same phone.

I have opened a support ticket and will fix that for the next release.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hello Jason,

I have looked at the code to see if there is something I can do regarding this issue.

There is a super simple solution to your problem, and I am a bit surprised I have thought about this earlier :

1. go in the Parameters Window
                    2. click on the OSC tab
                    3. change the "Default Host" to the phone you want to control

By default OSCulator, picks the first default host in the list, but you can change that easily.

Since you are using several windows (it makes sense it your case), you can assign a different default host for each phone.

I would suggest that you lock the document in OSCulator to prevent any changes.

You can alos display the Finder info window for the document and lock it, to make sure it is a template that won't be inadvertently modified. All you will have to do then is double click on the document, change the input port, and change the default host …

Best,

Cam

just change the input port and default host

Comment

Hey Camille,

I did what you said with two phones. That was so easy.

The first time it worked. But when I turned everything off and reopened it back up only one phone was able to receive messages from Live. The other one would send the messages from live to osc, but would give me a red light instead of green, and would not move the fader.

This is what i got after trying that ( from Console Manger)

Hope this helps.

Jason

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM OSCulator[370] Error loading /Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IomegaCM: dlopen(/Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IomegaCM, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:

/Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IomegaCM: mach-o, but wrong architecture

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM OSCulator[370] Cannot find function pointer IomegaCMPlugInFactory for factory 3487BB5A-3E66-11D5-A64E-003065B300BC in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x16d4acb0 </Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)

5/6/09 9:22:34 PM OSCulator[370] Failed to assign a unique ID to OSCulator's virtual MIDI input (0x15c01470).

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInFactory-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] AllocCMPlugInType-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInQueryInterface-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInAddRef-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInRelease-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInExamineContext-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:21:12 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInPostMenuCleanup-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:22:37 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInExamineContext-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:22:38 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInPostMenuCleanup-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:22:38 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInExamineContext-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:22:38 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInExamineContext-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:22:39 PM [0x0-0x44044].net.osculator.OSCulator[370] SoundGrinderCMPlugInPostMenuCleanup-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:30:04 PM Safari[245] Error loading /Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IomegaCM: dlopen(/Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IomegaCM, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:

/Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IomegaCM: mach-o, but wrong architecture

5/6/09 9:30:04 PM Safari[245] Error loading /Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IomegaCM: dlopen(/Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin/Contents/MacOS/IomegaCM, 262): no suitable image found. Did find:

5/6/09 9:30:04 PM Safari[245] Cannot find function pointer IomegaCMPlugInFactory for factory 3487BB5A-3E66-11D5-A64E-003065B300BC in CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x142d4850 </Library/Contextual Menu Items/IomegaCM.plugin> (bundle, not loaded)

5/6/09 9:30:04 PM [0x0-0x2f02f].com.apple.Safari[245] SoundGrinderCMPlugInFactory-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:30:04 PM [0x0-0x2f02f].com.apple.Safari[245] AllocCMPlugInType-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:30:04 PM [0x0-0x2f02f].com.apple.Safari[245] SoundGrinderCMPlugInQueryInterface-I-Debug

5/6/09 9:30:04 PM [0x0-0x2f02f].com.apple.Safari[245] SoundGrinderCMPlugInAddRef-I-Debug

Comment

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the console log, that is sooo helpful.

Some of the messages are not directly related to OSCulator. Why it tries to deal with Contextual menu items, I don't know. For example there is a IomegaCM bundle which seem to be left from a previous installation of Mac OS X, or a wrong version of the software. Anyway, that won't help you much in that case.

However, the third message is more interesting, I will look into that since there are some people complaining about a randomly working MIDI virtual interface, which is indeed problematic.

As for the problem you are having: there is a bug in Mac OS X Leopard which could break Bonjour (the automatic network discovery protocol). This is why OSCulator is unable to send messages. When you see that red blinking light, this means there is an error. The only solution I found was to reboot the machine.

I hope Apple will fix that in the next release.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hey Camille,

Thanks so much for all the help.

We have 2 of the 5 phones communicating both ways. Will see what happens with the new mac update.

We're putting together a behind the scenes video on how we run our whole show. I'll defiantly put a good word in for osc. Once again thanks so much for the program. I'm looking forward to using osc in the future to control things beyond audio levels!!!!

best wishes

Jason De Christopher

Comment

Hey Camille,

Thanks so much for all the help.

We have 2 of the 5 phones communicating both ways. Will see what happens with the new mac update.

We're putting together a behind the scenes video on how we run our whole show. I'll defiantly put a good word in for osc. Once again thanks so much for the program. I'm looking forward to using osc in the future to control things beyond audio levels!!!!

best wishes

Jason De Christopher

Comment

Hey Cam,

It's been awhile but we have been running 4 I-phones as well as one I-touch the past few months to control our in ear monitor mixs. Everything has been working great. Last time I talked to you we were dealing with the issue of ableton not being able to send midi commands back to the phones to control the faders. ( but the faders on the phones do control ableton)

So I decided to give a few months to let all the updates come out for mac, ableton, touch osc, and osculator. We still don't have the communication back to the phones from live. So I rebuild everything from scratch in live, osculator, and touch Osc.

Instead of having multiple windows open for Osculator I only use one that all the phones connect too. Now that touch Osc came out with it's editor for building your own layout, I build our own custom layout which has 5 pages, one for each person. But we all connect to the same "8000" port. This helped clean everything up. Plus if one control goes down, one of the guys grabs the other guys I phone and just selects there mix. It's really cool.

Anyway, this is what i have been messing with

This is one of the commands that sends from live to the phone

/midicc1/2 osc routing Default: jason-ds-iphone (TouchOSC) -> /2/fader20

and this is the command from the phone to live

/2/fader20 midicc 1 2

where it is says ":jason- ds-iphone" , that will change with whomever is the first person to connect to osculator.

This is my question:

And I don't know much about coding but, is there away to type in/program multiple phone names in the command that routes the midi note back to the phone.

for example

/midicc1/2 osc routing Default: jason-ds-iphone/bruce-ks-iphone (TouchOSC) -> /2/fader20

Right now with this new setup, the first person to connect, gets to have Ableton control their i-phone.

Thanks for your help. I know the way we are using it was not really what it was designed for, but it's still cheaper and better then anything else we know of. You should see peoples faces at gigs when they see our setup. Their jaws drop every time.

Thanks so much,

jason

Comment

Working...
                              X