Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping TouchOSC to Ableton Drum Rack

Hello,

I am wondering if it is possible to map the TouchOSC BeatMachine (or similar type of layout with pads) to Ableton's Drum Rack interface so the TouchOSC pads "automap" to the bank of selected drum rack pads in Ableton?

I understand that I can assign a midi note to a single TouchOSC pad, C-2, for instance, via OSCulator. This means that the TouchOSC pad will only trigger the drum rack pad that is assigned to note C-2, regardless which bank of pads is highlighted in Ableton.

Basically, I would like to mimic the Akai MPD or M-Audio Trigger Finger automapping functionality.

Thanks!

Adam

Hi,

to do this you will need feedback from Live.

You can get this by using the Live Api.

Google with "live api" should find something.

Be aware that this is not trivial, but it worth it.

When MaxforLive will be available later this year this should be eseasier.

Good luck

olivier

Comment

Thanks for the response Olivier. I was wondering if it was more involved than using OSCulator.

My other thought was to create a custom template via the new TouchOSC editor and cram 128 drum pads in a series of pages in a single layout, then jump pages as I change pad banks, but that seems kinda awkward.

I haven't had any experience with the Live API or Max (and obviously not Max for Live), so it looks like I have plenty to sort out.

Thanks again!

Comment

Hey tranzfuse,

Olivier is correct, some feedback would be needed from Live in order to know which view is currently shown.

I'm not sure if it can be useful, but there is a useful feature of Live which is called "User Remote Scripts".

Go in the ~/Library/Preferences/Ableton folder, there is a "User Remote Scripts" folder in which some intructions are given to create a basic control surface. I've seen some references to bank change, so maybe there is a chance to do that …

Best,

Cam

Comment

Thanks for the tip Camille. I will check that out, always plenty to learn

Thanks for working so hard on OSCulator too, great little app!

Comment

Good timing !

There is a great tutorial just for what you need at www.createdigitalmusic.com

Peter used a korg nano kontrol and pad to control drum rack

have a look

olivier

Comment

… and I just got a Korg Nano today !

Seems like a nice little device :-)

Comment

wich one Camille?

Comment

It's a Nano Pad.

Comment

Hi Transfuze,

have a look at my new topic about drum racks and iPhone

it should fit with your primary need ;-)

olivier

Comment

Working...
                    X