Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• touchosc midi mapping in ableton live

Hi,

i'm using ipod touch version 3, touchosc and osculator to communicate with ableton live. I've tried the tuttorial several times but i have a problem that gives me a headache.

i can assign just one controller in ableton. If i'm going to try to assign another controller it changes the cc number to the first controller that i've assigned before. I can see that in the midi mapping window of ableton. I've tried everything that i know but i can't fix it.

How can i solve this problem, please help me.

Thank you

Selcuk

Hi Selcuk,

Please check the following:

- make sure you have different MIDI Control Change number for each TouchOSC control. They have to be different or they would collide

- In Live, when you assign a new controller to a user interface control, make sure you don't select the same as for the previous mapping, or it will be replaced by the new mapping.

- If you are using a control that sends multiple values at the same time (for example X/Y surface), make sure you only send one control at a time. For this, select the control you are going to map, hit Command-R in OSCulator to enable solo mode for this control, and assign the control in Live. Hit Command-R one more time to get out of solo mode.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

Thanks for your reply.

I've checked all of them but nothing changes. That is intresting but i can easily mannage the x/y control. I'm having trouble with the buttons. When i try to assign a cc to a button something happening and suddenly changes it to the last assigned slider or x/y controller. It's like a midi feedback problem but i can't understand it.

Also i see a ping message on the osculator is it normal?

Comment

Ok i gave wrong informaton, it is not only button problem. After assigning two cc's i can't assign any different one.

Comment

Hey Selcuk,

If you think there is a MIDI feedback, what you can do is start controlling Live in only one direction (OSCulator to Live), that not enable bi-directional control (Live to OSCulator).

For this, you should go in Live Preferences, and disable Track and Remote on "Output: OSCulator In (8000)".

I'm not sure to fully understand what's happening there, as for the ping message, I don't think TouchOSC sends such messages.

Best,

Cam

Comment

I find the problem!

I disable the iac midi ports and now everything is fine. In the past i've try to use wiimote with other prog. that i forgot its name. I used iac midi ports for that application. Ok it works great right now.

I can register now.

Thanks Cam

Comment

Excellent !

Great to know it is working.

Comment

Hi,

Ive just started using TouchOSC with Ableton 8 (Windows 7) but I am getting a very simialr problem. Ableton maps teh first controller, and the second, but anything after the second mapping gets the same CC number. From MidiMapMode, when I click on an Ableton control, then wiggel my TOuchOSC iPhone knobs you can see the correct cc number flick up for a moment but then it changes (very quickly) to the second CC number.

Does anyone have a fix for this please?

Thanks

Comment

I just noticed that sometimes when I try to map a cc that ableton flickers between the correct cc number and the last one I used. It just flicks between the two controller settings by itself (very fast), it stops when I leave MidiMapMode. Also I noticed that I cant delete the mappings sometimes, until I come back out of midmapmode and go back in... really weird

Comment

Hi my808,

The problem you are having here is that you are sending other control changes while you assigning a new one.

Live doesn't filter out already assigned MIDI control changes, so the trick is to solo them as described in this thread:

http://www.osculator.net/bp/topic/105#post-542

Hope this helps!

Cam

Comment

Thanks Camille!

I cant tell where to solo out the cc. Is it in midimap function in Live? Or from Pd somewhere? Sorry mate and thanks!

Your Qoute: "The trick is to "solo out" only one parameter at a time.

There are checkboxes on the left that you can use to fire the events or not."[i]

Comment

I tested on my other notebook today and it worked! It must be my Dell M1530 AGAIN! I will never buy a Dell again.

Thanks Camille

Comment

The MIDI events are sent from OSCulator, so you have to solo them in OSCulator, this is in the Routing menu, you can also use Command-R :

http://www.osculator.net/dw/manual:main_user_interface#routing_menu

cheers!

cam

Comment

Working...
                          X