• Show
Clear All

• MIDI signal not detected by OSCulator

SW Versions

OSCulator 2.8.8

TouchOSC 1.4.2

OS X 10.5.8

iPhone 3GS 3.1.2

I've successfully installed all relevant components to enable comms between TouchOSC and OSCulator. I've setup the necessary networking configurations as described in tech notes and forums, which worked fine and I have been able to 'pair' TouchOSC with OSCulator over my wireless network, each end detects the other end no problem.

However, although I have good network connectivity I *do not* see any evidence of MIDI signals being detected by OSCulator. I've used the default templates provided without any sign of the signal coming through when using faders or buttons in TouchOSC.

Are there any areas I should investigate further apart from:

- Setting up standard network between two end points over 8000 and 9000

- Adding static route using IP address rather than localhost name

Thanks in advance..

Hi Hutch,

Are you trying to send MIDI from or to OSCulator?

What MIDI application would you like to use to receive or send those messages?

Best,

Cam

Comment

OK, my title description may be a bit misleading, should have read 'OSCulator is not recieving data from TouchOSC'

The situation is thus:

(A)TouchOSC 1.4.2 --> (B)OSCulator 2.8.8 --> (C)Ableton or any other midi compatible solution.

Currently (A) and (B) are on same network and connected using ports 8000 and 9000 as instructed in online docs.

However (B) does not detect any activty from (A) regardless of which preinstalled template is used or if not template is used. It therefore appears the communication between these end points is failing even though the network connectivity is established.

I've not mentioned the setup of Ableton (C) yet as I don't think thats adding to the issue.

I'm working on the basis that Ableton recieves its input from (B), and the root cause of my problem currently looks like (B) isn't receiving iput from (A)..

Hopefully this clarifies the situation a little further..

Comment

Definitely. Thanks for the detailed description.

The problem you are having there is that the iPhone doesn't always properly "stick" to the wireless network.

This is something that happened with version 3.x of the iPhone/iPod Touch firmware.

You must make sure that the Airport icon is showing up in the top status bar of the iPhone. This indicated that the network packets will be sent to this network.

In order to ensure a proper connection to your computer here are a few hints:

1- Set your phone in Airplane Mode, and enable Wi-FI. This will disable the GSM radio, but leave the Wi-FI network running, thus narrowing the count of available networks to the iPhone operating system.

2a- It is better to connect the iPhone to a network where an address will be assigned (when the iPhone is directly connected to an Ad-Hoc wireless network there is usually no address assigned, and the iPhone will fallback to a 169.254.x.x style address which is not very good for connectivity).

2b- If you connect your iPhone directly to the computer, turning on Network Sharing (or Internet Sharing on Snow Leopard) on the computer usually gives good results because your computer will assign an address to the iPhone. For this, go in System Preferences, Sharing, and turn on Internet Sharing from the Ethernet to computers using Airport. It doesn't matter if there is no connection on the Ethernet port. The result of this is that your computer will act as a DHCP server and give the iPhone an address on a local network, hence avoiding the iPhone to have a self-assigned address.

3- if you really need both the computer and the iPhone to use a self-assigned address (169.254.x.x) style, you must make sure the Aiport icon is shown in the top status bar. It is also better as you suggested to enter a static destination address in TouchOSC, though not required.

If you need any further details, feel free to ask.

Best,

Camille

Comment

thanks for the options

I'll test later this evening and report back progress.

Comment

OSCulator 2.8.8

TouchOSC 1.4.2

OS X 10.5.8

iPhone 3G 3.1.2

I think, I have the same problem.

But I use with traktor pro.

"So here's what I am a bit confused about. I'm running a freshly installed touchOSC and OSCalator and have followed the tutorial to a T. I am running a created network solely between my iphone and macbook, and have even tried the tips on manually setting up IP communication between touchOSC (iphone) and OSCalator (Macbook) ... via this forum. I have been unable to try over a "real" wireless connection, however I want the freedom to not rely on venue WIFI, so I'd like to stick with a created network.

With all this, I still can't even get touchOSC to send a signal to OSCalator (no green input flashings, which I take it is what I want to see)"

I'll try your instructions,(Definitely. Thanks for the detailed description.

The problem you are having there is that the iPhone doesn't always properly "stick" to the wireless network.

This is something that happened with version 3.x of the iPhone/iPod Touch firmware.

You must make sure that the Airport icon is showing up in the top status bar of the iPhone. This indicated that the network packets will be sent to this network.

In order to ensure a proper connection to your computer here are a few hints:

1- Set your phone in Airplane Mode, and enable Wi-FI. This will disable the GSM radio, but leave the Wi-FI network running, thus narrowing the count of available networks to the iPhone operating system.

2a- It is better to connect the iPhone to a network where an address will be assigned (when the iPhone is directly connected to an Ad-Hoc wireless network there is usually no address assigned, and the iPhone will fallback to a 169.254.x.x style address which is not very good for connectivity).

2b- If you connect your iPhone directly to the computer, turning on Network Sharing (or Internet Sharing on Snow Leopard) on the computer usually gives good results because your computer will assign an address to the iPhone. For this, go in System Preferences, Sharing, and turn on Internet Sharing from the Ethernet to computers using Airport. It doesn't matter if there is no connection on the Ethernet port. The result of this is that your computer will act as a DHCP server and give the iPhone an address on a local network, hence avoiding the iPhone to have a self-assigned address.

3- if you really need both the computer and the iPhone to use a self-assigned address (169.254.x.x) style, you must make sure the Aiport icon is shown in the top status bar. It is also better as you suggested to enter a static destination address in TouchOSC, though not required.

If you need any further details, feel free to ask.

Best,

Camille
            ) but nothing change.

So I hope you help me, because it's very important to me.

Comment

Sorry James, but I can't help you if you don't give more details. I'd like to help, but I need a detailed description of the problem, what you did, and what did not work.

Have you followed in details the procedure to connect TouchOSC and OSCulator ? (the tutorial is for Live, but it is basically the same for Traktor)

Do you see events received in OSCulator ?

One thing to know about Traktor:

It is important to run the latest version as older versions had problems receiving MIDI events.

If you search on the forum there is at least one thread about connecting the iPhone with Traktor.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Hi,

I have tested the following options:

1- Set your phone in Airplane Mode, and enable Wi-FI. This will disable the GSM radio, but leave the Wi-FI network running, thus narrowing the count of available networks to the iPhone operating system. Result no change, OSCulator not receiving events from TouchOSC.

2b- If you connect your iPhone directly to the computer, turning on Network Sharing (or Internet Sharing on Snow Leopard) on the computer usually gives good results because your computer will assign an address to the iPhone. For this, go in System Preferences, Sharing, and turn on Internet Sharing from the Ethernet to computers using Airport. It doesn't matter if there is no connection on the Ethernet port. The result of this is that your computer will act as a DHCP server and give the iPhone an address on a local network, hence avoiding the iPhone to have a self-assigned address.Result no change, OSCulator not recieving events from TouchOSC.

I've also created a peer to peer connection between TouchOSC and OSCulator using static IP addresses, in both normal and Airplane mode. Result no change, OSCulator not receiving events from TouchOSC.

In all options tested the network connectivity between OSCulator and TouchOSC (and vice versa) appears to be working however there is never any event sent from TouchOSC to OSCulator.

I'm presuming OSCulator has an indication box that flashes in event of events being received, in all set-ups I have tested this hasn't yet occurred.

Is there any other angle that I should explore?

Comment

OK.. I think we have a breakthru.

It appears the default Firewall settings of "Allow only essential services" allows connectivity to establish network connections between the end points TouchOSC and OSCulator, *but* it doesn't allow the subsequent traffic containing the events submitted from TouchOSC.

I've created a peer to peer network, with static IP's, switched on Airplane mode, switched off the FW to allow all incoming connections and voilà it works.

Anyone else experiencing lack of event issues would be well advised to check your firewall settings on your MAC.

Obviously don't switch off your firewall if you are connected to the internet as well!!

Thanks for the help Camille, helped point me in the right direction.

May be worthwhile updating FAQ with the Firewall issue?

Cheers!!

Comment

Great idea, since I am in the process of rewriting the FAQ without the crappy wordpress add-on, I will add this issue for sure. Thanks for pointing that out!

Comment

hutch! Yeah!!! It works realy the problem with Firewall.

thx for help, hutch, Cam the best!

Comment

Working...
                      X