Touchosc & OSCulator as Monome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touchosc & OSCulator as Monome?

Hi everyone. I downloaded an app for iOs called haplome. It's an emulation of monome fort the iOs. It's works so good, but it's too simple and I think with Touschosc & OSCulator I can do something better. The problem is that I don't know what messages transmits monome, i think that's not Midi... Can Anybody help me? Thanks!
    Last edited by uuuhu; 11-24-2010, 05:47 PM.

Hey uuuhu,
    The OSC protocol used in the monome is there : http://wiki.monome.org/view/40hOscProtocol
    I think it is totally possible to configure OSCulator and TouchOSC to emulate the monome, just maybe a bit tedious.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks Camille, I'm gonna try it!

Comment

Yeah, it works. I do it usin osc routing and 3 diferent variables. I haven't done it yet, beacause I've to made 64 diferent routings... and I have no desire to do it now!

The problem that I have now is the "feedback" from Max/Mps (I'm using runtime edition). I send my OSC information to 8000 port, but I don't know what it's the port that Max is sending OSC to me. Anyone knows it?

Comment

Hello again. I had left this project because I was waiting for my iPad. 64 buttons on iphone is to small. today I opened my osculator file who behaved as monome (only sending messages). It didn't worked. I check everithing and I could not understand. I tried to redo it, and it worked. I closed OSCulator and I reopened it. It didn't work and don't work now. It's very strange... What I'm doing wrong? Thnaks!

Comment

Imagen 3.jpg

That's waht I've done. It works perfect until I close OSCulator and I open it... it's so frustating!

Comment

Hey uuuhu,

Could you please pm me the file?
              This way I'll be able to have a better look.

Cam

Comment

Hello Aleix,

First of all some remarks :

You are making a creative use of the variables to fill the arguments for a message, but I think the way it is done makes it hard to read the list of messages / events. I would suggest that you rather define a different OSC Routing for each button. Attached is a file where I have done this on the first two buttons to show you how it is done. In my opinion this is more simple and will help you to port your example to another device more easily.

Now about the frustating issue :
                The OSC Routing you have defined were configured with the default option to be sent to the "default target". The target is where the OSC messages must be sent, for example another program on your computer. The default target is set to the first device that has been found on the network using the Bonjour protocol (OSCulator and TouchOSC are using this protocol, but there are now more and more OSC compatible software that are using it).
                That means that if you set your OSC Routings to be sent to the default target, there are a lot of chances that they will be sent to your iPhone itself, which is not what you want. The solution is simple : select all the OSC routings defined in the Parameters Windows, and change the first column (target) to a fixed slot, for example '1'. In the table at the top, defined the first target to be a fixed destination. For example if you use PureData on port 9000 of your computer, enter localhost:9000 (or choose it from the 'gear' drop down menu).

I hope all of this makes sense to you, if there is anything unclear, please let me know and I'll try to be more descriptive.

Best,
                Cam
                Attached Files

Comment

Okay! It works perfect, thank you very much Camille! I've a lot of work and after that I'll have to make the "feedback" from monome! Let's go!

Comment

I'll be happy to give suggestions as you have questions.

Comment

It works! I've a monome on my iPhone & iPad and I can improve it! I'll be able to add faders, encoders and everything! I'll do a beautiful layout and I'm gonna upload it!

Now I've a little problem. I made all my OSC rutings with "/osc/press" and the information about leds come in on Osculator with "/osc/led" message. It works on Max aplications like boiing, but other max aplications uses diferent adress like "/tin/led". It's so esasy to change all my outgoing rutings, but I've no idea how I have to change the incoming messages. Can you help me?

Thanks for everithing! I think if one day I come to Paris, I shall invite you to dinner!

Comment

I solved the problem by myself! I send the incoming osc message "/tin/led" to a OSC ruting to the same OSCulator document with "/osc/led"!

Comment

Very clever trick.
                          I use that often when I need to make it more reusable, exactly like in your case.

Comment

Hello Camille,
                            i can´t open the attached file monome 40 h - modif ex.... I use vers. 2.9.6.1 because my mashine is a Apple G5.
                            Best; Jürgen

Comment

Hallo Jürgen,

Luckily the example does not use features that are specific to the newer versions.

I have re-recreated the example using TouchOSC with the Simple layout on page 2.
                              It is not a Monome, but you will get the idea on which routings must be configured.

If you have any question, please let me know.

Best,
                              Cam
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X