How to send TUIO Coordinates to CC MIDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to send TUIO Coordinates to CC MIDI

I made a touch screen using TUIO and am kind of new to this whole thing. I want to be able to send TUIO messages from CCV to Traktor or Mixxx or any other MIDI app.
    I’ve read into Osculator TUIO Protocols but I keep coming across a problem: the messages show up just as the wiki says but I can’t figure out what to do from there. How do I take coordinates on a screen and turn that specific coordinate into a CC message for MIDI?
    I know this maybe a super simple answer, but I for the life of me can’t figure it out. I’ve spent hours trying to fix this simple problem, so if someone could help me, I’d be really grateful.

Hi Evolove,

When OSCulator receives a TUIO message, it displays a message with the fiducial identifier of the object being tracked. This message has several arguments, of which you can find the X and Y coordinates.

Locate the lines that is named X, and click on the menu at the crossing of the Event Type column. This will display a list of events, choose MIDI CC. Then choose do this again with the Value column: choose a MIDI CC number (anything should do as long as it is not already defined for something else in Traktor).

You can repeat this process with the Y argument.

Best Regards,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Cam!

I should have mentioned that I'm using my fingers, not fiducials. Osculator detects them as cursors instead of points. Thats where my problem has been. That it identifies when 1 finger is down or 2 fingers and so on, not actual location on the screen.

I attached an image to show you what I mean:

Screen shot 2011-09-06 at 3.33.02 PM.png

What I can do is put one finger down anywhere, have that cursor CC to Traktor to play deck 1, and then put down finger 2 anywhere while finger one is still down, and have that cursor CC to play deck 2. But it's not detecting where on the screen I'm pressing. Any ideas?

Comment

On your screenshot, I can see X and Y arguments corresponding to the coordinates of the cursors. Use MIDI CC on those and it should work as desired.
        If you want to experiment a bit, select the X argument of the /tuio/2D/cur/0 message and press the Space key. This will display the Quick Look window showing a graph of the current value, this should help you understand better what each argument is doing.

Comment

Hey thanks again for the reply!

Originally posted by camille View Post
          If you want to experiment a bit, select the X argument of the /tuio/2D/cur/0 message and press the Space key. This will display the Quick Look window showing a graph of the current value, this should help you understand better what each argument is doing.
          Sweet. I can see in Quick Look that it is detecting the x and y coordinates from 0 to 1 as expected.

Originally posted by camille View Post
          Use MIDI CC on those and it should work as desired.
          This is where I am still having trouble.
          Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 3.51.48 AM.png
          Screen shot 2011-09-07 at 3.53.52 AM.png
          What happens is that if I touch anywhere on the screen, it will play deck 1. How do I get the specific coordinates from the cursor to correspond with MIDI controls? I feel there may be a ridiculously simple answer to this, but I just can't figure it out. For example, hypothetically if play/pause button is like x= .31 and y=.35 in the cursor window.
          Last edited by evolove; 09-07-2011, 12:02 PM.

Comment

HI Evolove,

I can see from your screenshot that you used the same value for both MIDI CC.
            If you want Traktor to make the difference between X and Y, you must use two different values.

As for the region detection, I'm sorry but OSCulator is not able to do that.
            What TUIO application are you using?

Best,
            Cam

Comment

I'm using CCV (Community Core Vision) [Formally known as tbeta] . But honestly I'm ok with using any program, including moving to Windows or Linux if I have to. My goal is to get traktor or virtualdj or mixxx or whatever DJ program to pick up my where I am touching the screen so that I can map it to literally become a touch screen dj system. Any ideas? I feel like I've seen countless people do this, even on Mac with Osculator, but no one explains how they did it step by step.

Heres a thought: If Traktor can pick up the x and y coordinates like you said, can I map those within traktor to make certain x and y coordinates link with the MIDI?

By the way, thanks again for all your help. You've been helping me by far more than anyone else.
              Last edited by evolove; 09-11-2011, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Hey Evolove,

Funny, I didn't know that TBeta has been renamed; I really like this application.

So, I don't think I meant that Traktor would be able to pick up the x/y coordinates and map them directly. As I said in my previous email, you need to process things a layer at a time:
                1. Acquire TUIO data (via CCV or some other TUIO application)
                2. Process gestures in order to identify virtual buttons, faders you might need on your multi-touch interface, and map them to different OSC messages representing button events (via ???)
                3. Convert OSC to MIDI (via OSCulator) and send that to Traktor.

Step 2 could be done by the same application as step 1.
                I've spent some time searching for such application, but haven't found anything satisfying.
                Maybe GestureWorks (http://gestureworks.com), but this application is a bit expensive to me, and I don't really like the "all adobe" spirit...

Cheers,
                Cam

Comment

Working...
                X