Classic Controller Emulation as a Gamepad for Trine 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic Controller Emulation as a Gamepad for Trine 2

I'm trying to hook up my Wii Classic Controller so that I can use it to play co-op mode in Trine 2, but I can't get it to work. The game will recognize the controller as there, and allows me to select it for use, but none of the buttons seem to be functioning. I've tried setting the buttons I want to HID mode and assigning them to different button numbers (Button-1, Button-2, etc.) but it doesn't seem to work. When I go into the options of the game and try to remap some of the controls, it doesn't work either, so I'm fairly certain that Trine isn't recognizing that the buttons are being pressed on the controller.

Anyone have any tips for how I can set this up?

Hello Sismac,

I just tried Trine 2 and it runs nicely with OSCulator.
    Attached is a oscd file I created. It is configured in a way that you have two virtual HID joysticks based on Trine default settings. Feel free to adjust those settings if you want to change the location of buttons on you Classic Controller.

When you start Trine 2, go in the Settings, then Configure Controls, make sure you have OSCulator HID 1 and 2 available for use.

Best,
    Camille
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply. This works well. I actually only needed one classic controller, so I didn't need to use the second HID channel. However, the player controlled by the Classic Controller seems to be perpetually stuck moving to the left, as if the movement joystick is stuck (but it isn't). Any thoughts on why that might be? This setup also works in first Trine game, but the Classic Controller player isn't stuck moving in that game...
      Last edited by Simsmac; 07-18-2012, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Are you running the latest version?
        (2.12.1)

Comment

Ah, I wasn't. That seems to have solved the problem. Thanks so much!

Comment

Hello,

just a few words from me:

1. I play Trine 2 in COOP-Mode using two Wiimotes. One configured for Keyboard/Mouse and the other one as a Gamepad. The only way for me to configure the controller-setup in the game, was by completely manually editing the binding-files in "/Users/YOURNAME/Library/Containers/com.frozenbyte.Trine2/Data/Library/Trine2/UserBinds".

2. The control for player 1 is perfect with direct pointing of the wiimote to the screen, it is essentially a "native WiiU"-felling, as I can play the Game on TV with FullHD and FSAA and so on - REALLY GREAT.

3. The controlling for player 2 is a little bit crippled by them game (not by OSCulator), as for instance the aiming is without a cursor for thief and warrior and You just cannot point to the screen with the wiimote, but have to aim in a more indirect way. I mapped the second analog-stick to the nunchuck-movement - there is a learning curve related to for the second player and it is not so natural like the Mouse-Emulation for Player one.

In the attachement is my OSC-file, maybe it is useful for You.

Christian
            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Christian for this much useful information!
              How did you get the idea of editing the configuration manually?

Comment

The idea came from pure desperation, because the controller-setup in the game never worked for me. And that started with Trine 1, for the second part of the game I already knew, what to expect.

So after several hours of "googeling" i found these links:

The bindings are quite self-explanatory and in I my setup I must not touch the controller-setup in game again, because after that all of the manual work can be scrambled by the game itself.

In general, when I purchase a game, I start with looking in the content of the application and the -/library/Application Support. When I find a readable config-file, then chances are good, because a manual setup is more reliable in most cases.

If someone needs my binding-files of Trine 1 or 2, then leave a reply, but even this can sometimes be tricky. I had to do minor modifications in the binding files between my Macs, between Snow Leo an Lion and after OSCulator-Updates.

Christian

Comment

Hey Christian, could I please have your binding files for Trine 2? I've been trying to set up one Classic Controller and one Nunchuk plus keyboard and mouse for three-player play, but it's been a sleepless night and a day with no signs of success now...
                  My problem (and apparently that of many others out there) is that once I set up OSCulator I can't get Trine 2 to accept my HID joysticks (they appear on the menu, but can't be selected, and if I click them and hit esc so that they keep selected, it doesn't recognize any input when I try to set up any command and I'm forced to force-quit the game). Which means, I can't get it to generate user-bind files for the joysticks and I'm clueless as to where to start.

Since you never know, in case it helps, I'm playing the App store version (is there a difference to the Steam version anyway?) on OSX 10.6.8. OSCulator version 2.12.6.
                  (actually I also suspect OSCulator might be at fault. is it normal for it to ask you to download the "necessary extension" every time you start it and press a button on the Wiimote? I figured it'd download it once and that'd be it, but it does it every time I start it. also, I can't set up the "value" column. I don't know how it should behave normally, but when I click it simply no options appear, just the dividing line. finally, I keep getting this "Wiimote discovery error (code: 188)", but it recognizes the Wiimote and reacts when I push the buttons, e.g. the checker boxes flash yellow/green)

Sorry for asking so much for a first post. I thought I'd say all I know in hope it helps finding a solution. Hope this doesn't qualify as thread hijacking...

Alvren

Comment

Hello Alvren,

I can't really help you on Trine issues and I will try to answer on your question about OSCulator:

(actually I also suspect OSCulator might be at fault. is it normal for it to ask you to download the "necessary extension" every time you start it and press a button on the Wiimote? I figured it'd download it once and that'd be it, but it does it every time I start it. also, I can't set up the "value" column. I don't know how it should behave normally, but when I click it simply no options appear, just the dividing line.
                    It seems there is a problem with your computer. When using HID events normal process is as follows:
                    - Start OSCulator,
                    - If a HID event is used but the required kernel extension is not installed, start its installation,
                    - Ask the user for his/her password in order to install the extension in the /System/Extensions directory,
                    - Once the installation is successfully made, present a confirmation dialog.

This is a one time operation only, so if OSCulator asks you to install the extension every time you use this file, there is a problem either with the extension installer or with your computer. I just tried on my computer running OS X Mountain Lion and I have found no problem so far.

I would need to know what version of OSCulator you are using, and what version is your system.

(Update: I just tried on a computer running 10.6.8 and it seems the installation process fails, I will release an update to fix that issue.)

finally, I keep getting this "Wiimote discovery error (code: 188)", but it recognizes the Wiimote and reacts when I push the buttons, e.g. the checker boxes flash yellow/green)
                    I think this is related to a bug in Mac OS X 10.6.8 and Bluetooth.
                    If you have further problems, please contact me directly at camille at osculator dot net, and we will see what we can do about it.

Best,
                    Cam

Comment

Camille,

Thank you very much! The problem with the extension is solved.
                      Also, soon after posting I realised I wasn't pairing and connecting the wiimotes in the new way it's supposed to be done since 2.12.x, apparently. Doing it the new way stopped the wiimote discovery error.

Which means, I no longer have any problems with OSCulator. In fact, it's working like a charm on every other application I tested. Now the problems I'm having are only Trine 2's fault. OSCulator HID 1 and 2 show up, but can't be selected, which means I can't generate user-bind files, which means I can't edit anything manually... same old story. I'll see if I can get any light on that on the Steam forums as well.

Thanks again!

Comment

That's great, thanks for letting me know!

Comment

Working...
                        X