Wii MotionPlus/Isadora question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii MotionPlus/Isadora question...

Hello All, I am new to the forum and Osculator. But it is a fantastic program so far. I am running on a Mac Pro 2x2.4 GHz Quad, osx 10.8.4, with the current OSCulator and Isadora. I currently have 4 Wii MotionPlus active and stable. Works beautifully! Exept...
    I would love to be able to know if the WiiMote is upside down in the roll or pitching backwards. Is there a way to change the scaling in OSCulator so that the OSC data is 0-1 over 360 degrees instead of 180?
    I am working on a performance where a WiiMote is inserted into a Giant 6 sided dice and rolled on a giant craps table. I know it's silly, but the whole performance is just that, fun and silly.
    Side thought, can the Ipod or Ipad accelerometer measure 360 degrees? I have TouchOSC, but have not gone down that road yet.
    Any outside the box thoughts would be much appreciated!
    Thank you in advance.

Hi TheSadFox!

There is an option in the Wiimote drawer for MotionPlus with three settings: "Continuous", "Cyclic" and "Infinite".
    In the continuous mode, angles are mapped between 0° and 180° with [0 1]
    In the cyclic mode, angles are mapped between 0° and 360° with [0 1]
    In the infinite mode, each clockwise 360° rotation around an axis, causes the mapping value to increment by 1, and anti-clockwise by -1. It acts a bit like a contiuous counter.

TouchOSC only reports accelerometer data, so you won't be able to measure Euler angles with that. You should be able to find an app that will send OSC using the gyroscopes too. At least I believe these devices and the Apple frameworks should have everything you need to know an estimation of the absolute orientation of the device, not limited to using the accelerometers only.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks for the quick response! I should have mentioned that I did have the motion plus on Cyclic, but the data is still only reading the 0-180 degrees. here is a screen shot with the OSCulator window and the Isadora patch. All 4 Wiimotes are resting on my desk at 90 degrees. Curious...
      Thanks for any advice...Screen Shot 2013-08-10 at 4.58.59 PM.jpg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by TheSadFox; 08-11-2013, 12:00 AM. Reason: wrong screenshot the first time...

Comment

Ok, sorry, just figured it out. For that to work I need to be referencing the /wii/1/motion/angles pitch and roll.
        Thank you again.

Comment

Hello Camille,
          I have been running 4 wii remotes with motion plus with no problems at all of the past couple weeks. The osc is going to Isadora. I am running the most recent version of both and Mac Osx 10.8.4. In the past 24 hours, OSCulator has locked up with the spinning beach ball for about 3-4 seconds at a time, and then soon will lock up for an indefinite period. I usually force quit after about 5 minutes, reboot the computer and then open osculator. It will work fine for about half an hour or so with out glitches. but then, alas. I will attach the OSCulator file for your reference.
          Thank you for your help!
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi TheSadFox,

Your file looks good to me but I don't know what could be happening by reading your description. Off the top of my head, I would say that something has changed on your computer 24 hours ago, but that wouldn't help. I will contact you offline to make more detailed examinations.

Best,
            Cam

Comment

Now that I think about it, it may sound like network related problem.

Attached is a slightly different version where I replaced "localhost" by 127.0.0.1. (I also fixed /wii/4/button/Plus that was assigned to D, instead of /isadora/71). You could alsot try disabling, WiFI and unplug the Ethernet cable just to see if that makes a difference.

Please let me know if that makes any difference.

Best,
              Cam
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X