Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sticky Enable Combined? (Guitar Hero strumming)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky Enable Combined? (Guitar Hero strumming)

Hi Camille, awesome software and worth every penny.

I've been struggling with how to recreate a more realistic guitar strum in OSCulator with a wiimote guitar hero controller. I would like for each note to be triggered with the strum bar (easily accomplished with enable combined) but to stay active until the button is released, in other words ignore the Note Off event of the strum bar. This would more closely simulate a real guitar where you can strum the strings and the sound doesn't stop until you release the strings. Is there any way to create a "sticky" enable combined event where the strum bar enables any notes held by the colored fret buttons but doesn't cut off the sound if the strum bar is released before the notes are released?

Using the examples provided with the software and other info gleaned from this forum, the closest I've been able to get is to send a midi cc 64 with each note (not triggered by the strum), so that if i hold a fret button and hit the strum bar, the note gets sustained until i release the button. However this workaround is somewhat glitchy and the sustain doesn't always 'catch', or sometimes gets held too long when transitioning to other notes. Is there any way using a series of events or note parameters or cc messages or custom routing to achieve this with OSCulator?

Hi gtr,

I don't really like the Enable Combined event (because I find it difficult to understand for most users), so I wouldn't search for a solution that involves a new type of such event.
    On the other had, a simple workaround come to my mind: the application MidiPipe has for long been a nice companion to OSCulator. You could try to implement a Note-Off filter for the specific channel you are using with your guitar events?

Best,
    Cam
    Last edited by camille; 06-22-2015, 05:24 PM. Reason: Added MidiPipe link.

Comment

Working...
    X