Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/clients/a70cbb4a74edf8105da5fd7e142fb9de/web/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Multi-unit OSC routing - OSCulator Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multi-unit OSC routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-unit OSC routing

Equipment & software being used:
    1 - MacBook Pro (OS X v. 10.7.4)
    2 - iPad 2's
    Traktor Pro v. 2.0.1
    OSCulator v. 2.12.2
    TouchOSC v. 1.8.1

What I'm trying to accomplish is to have the same OSC layout on both iPads that map to Traktor and route back to both units. I have some output routing back to the iPad for functions such as faders and on/off buttons. I can get the routing to send the signal back to one iPad by identifying it in the Parameters/OSC Routing/Targets window, but I can't figure out how to route back to both iPads so if one fader is adjusted on one unit it is reflected on the other. Is there a way to do this? If it involves any manual mapping I may need some walkthrough because I'm a little new to the whole network thing. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Matty Dice

Hi Matty,

I think the most simple solution would be to add another instance of control surface to Traktor.

There are 3 issues to solve:
    1. you need to run the same file twice in OSCulator
    2. each file must be configured with different MIDI input/output ports. (OSCulator <-> Traktor)
    3. each file must be configured with different OSC ports and the iPads must be configured accordingly to those ports. (OSCulator <-> TouchOSC)

1: That is easy, all you need to do is duplicate the file in the finder and open both files in OSCulator, you will then have two windows (one will display an error because of an OSC port conflict, that's normal and we will solve this in step 3).

2: To configure two different OSCulator windows on two different sets of MIDI input/output ports, we need to use the IAC driver. Open the application Audio MIDI Setup and open the MIDI Window, then add two IAC buses as shown on the picture:
    IAC driver config.jpg

Then, in both OSCulator window, configure the MIDI input and output so it uses only the IAC ports we defined earlier:
    MIDI config 1.pngMIDI config 2.png

In Traktor, you will need to have two control surfaces using the same IAC ports so Traktor can communicate with each OSCulator window. I can not show you this in images because I have not yet re-installed Traktor on my machine. Don't forget to import the mappings from the TSI file.

3: Last step, connect both of your iPads to both OSCulator windows:
    First of all, fix the OSC input error: each window must run on a different OSC port. So if one if on port 8000, change the other for port 8001 (or anything you like).
    Now, open TouchOSC on both iPads, and open the Network Settings. Both iPad must be configured to use a different instance of OSCulator.
    Finally, you must configure the default target on both OSCulator windows so that control feedback will work on both iPads. Open the Parameters window, and go to the OSC pane, you should see something like this:
    Default target.png

To summarize: you run the same OSCulator configuration in two different windows. Next, you have created two MIDI input and output ports that you can use to have OSCulator and Traktor communicate together. Then, you have connected two iPads to two different OSCulator windows running the same configuration.

Please let me know if you need further help.

Best,
    Camille

Comment

Working...
    X