Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/clients/a70cbb4a74edf8105da5fd7e142fb9de/web/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/clients/a70cbb4a74edf8105da5fd7e142fb9de/web/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/clients/a70cbb4a74edf8105da5fd7e142fb9de/web/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Warning: Undefined array key "p" in /home/clients/a70cbb4a74edf8105da5fd7e142fb9de/web/forum/includes/vb5/template.php(404) : eval()'d code on line 794 Wired USB Connection To TouchOSC - OSCulator Forum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wired USB Connection To TouchOSC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wired USB Connection To TouchOSC

Hi,

I've been dreaming for a long time about a wired connection between Touch OSC and Osculator. Is it possible now?

Touch OSC recently updated to work over a wired USB connection, but so far it appears to only work through their midi bridge. When I put my phone in airplane mode, osculator is unable to see the wired connection???

I have latest Sierra update, Touch OSC (running on iphone 6s) and latest Osculator version.

Thanks for any insight
    Andrew

Hello Andrew,

I had a closer look at TouchOSC Bridge. It is based on a proprietary communication protocol between the app (TouchOSC) and the bridge. Also, it seems that this communication protocol is restricted to MIDI. Once evidence of that is in TouchOSC's settings page : USB communication can be enabled only for the "MIDI Bridge" channel.

In other words : at the moment it is not possible to use the OSC protocol on USB, and your only option is to use MIDI to get wired communications. If TouchOSC made public the technical details of its communication protocol and made it so it is somewhat compatible with OSC, there might be a way to hook up the USB connectivity for TouchOSC in OSCulator.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
      Hello Andrew,

I had a closer look at TouchOSC Bridge. It is based on a proprietary communication protocol between the app (TouchOSC) and the bridge. Also, it seems that this communication protocol is restricted to MIDI. Once evidence of that is in TouchOSC's settings page : USB communication can be enabled only for the "MIDI Bridge" channel.

In other words : at the moment it is not possible to use the OSC protocol on USB, and your only option is to use MIDI to get wired communications. If TouchOSC made public the technical details of its communication protocol and made it so it is somewhat compatible with OSC, there might be a way to hook up the USB connectivity for TouchOSC in OSCulator.

Best,
      Cam
      Hi Cam,

Thanks so much for the reply! I appreciate the straight answer. I will keep dreaming

Andrew

Comment

Hi Andrew,

I don't know exactly when MIDI Bridge was renamed to TouchOSC Bridge, but it seems arecent update made your dream come true:

I just tested my iPhone 6S with wired USB connection and Airplane mode enabled, between TouchOSC and OSCulator. Just install the TouchOSC Bridge on your computer and make sure TouchOSC is porperly configured, that is, when you set-up TouchOSC Bridge host in the Settings pane, also make sure the OSC settings use the same host. This host IP should normally start with "169.254", which means it's a self-assigned IP.

Download link: https://hexler.net/software/touchosc, at the bottom of the page.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Hi Cam,

Thanks so much for the email I really appreciate it! Tested and working great/telling everyone I work around

Comment

Working...
          X