No announcement yet.

ThumbJam (iPhone) w/ OSCulator - only two Event Types available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct, sending the MIDI message type via OSC was something I experimented with, but ended up not exposing. I actually don't remember why not!

TJ can send MIDI via DSMI (with DSMidiWifi running on your system) without problems, but that has nothing to do with OSC or Osculator.

Yes, I've found that WiFi routers can really suck by adding latency and bursting the data through when the data rate gets higher (eg pitchbend). Ad-hoc wifi network between the device and your computer are much more reliable if you can get away with using them in your setup.

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
      So, here is a file I have prepared that is compatible with ThumbJam.

Here is what I did for the setup :
      • In ThumbJam, enable the OSC output (in Remotes)
      • Open a new OSCulator document, and set the OSC port to 7000 (ThumbJam's default)
      • Play some notes and see the message /tj/1/note registering in OSCulator.
      • First argument of /tj/1/note : "Note Params / Pitch"
      • Second argument : "Note Params / Velocity"
      • Third argument : "MIDI Note w/ Params" with a value of "/tj/1/note"
      • Then I switched to the scalings and change the scaling of the first argument to 0-127 for its input range.
      • Open the Parameters Window, go to I/O and change the MIDI range to 0 for the lowest note and 127 for the highest note.

I also played with the /tj/1/bend message, (has a scaling of [-1 1]), but it does not seem to work very well for some reason. My guess is that I was using a router and had too much latency. (I disabled this message by default).
      Hello Cam,

I just wanted to mention that I finally got around to trying this (with TJ 2.0) and it seems to work reasonably well. The only major issue I have is that some notes seem to get 'lost' somewhere.

Thank you for your help!
      Last edited by meowsqueak; 12-10-2011, 03:19 AM.

Comment

Hi!

The update looks great, I am currently installing it on my iPad and iPhone
        If you could please make a full description of how I can setup things to try to reproduce your issue, it would great !

Thanks,
        Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
          Hi!

The update looks great, I am currently installing it on my iPad and iPhone
          If you could please make a full description of how I can setup things to try to reproduce your issue, it would great !
          Ok - I simply set up OSCulator as per the post I quoted above (your post #14), and then used OSCulator as a MIDI-input to Reason. In TJ all I had to do was enable OSC output, on port 7000 (seems that changing the port number doesn't actually change the port number - probably a bug). Pretty simple really

It would be interesting to know whether the OSC messages are being dropped by OSCulator, or perhaps not even generated by TJ. Most notes work, maybe 10% are missing?

EDIT: played around with this some more - I think some of the notes are simply delayed, rather than dropped, so that a subsequent note ends up 'masking' it (because OSC from TJ seems to be monophonic). I also tried the CoreMIDI option and that seems to have the same problem, but because it's polyphonic it manifests differently - but in both cases I think it's simply a matter of notes being delayed somewhere, sometimes up to half a second. I'm using ad-hoc wifi but it wouldn't surprise me if the cause is simply the nature of TCP/IP networking.
          Last edited by meowsqueak; 12-11-2011, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I downloaded the file at post #14, and opened ThumbJam and OSCulator.

It was not really usable, there was too much latency, so I decided to create a network on my computer, and enter my computer's IP address in TJ. This time was no latency at all, but as you noticed some notes were dropped.

If you have a look at the messages received, you will see this:

Code:
            /tj/1/note fff 64.000000 0.000000 0.000000
            /tj/1/note fff 64.000000 1.000000 1.000000
            I was touching and releasing the same note at regular interval.
            The last column should alternate between 0 and 1, but sometimes the trigger is repeated, but I can't find if this is because of the way I touch the screen, or another reason.

This is a bit weird I think, maybe Jesse could help us by looking if this is a problem with TJ.

Comment

Working...
            X