Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiimote to Logic Pro

Hi there,

I've been using Osculator trial for weeks and then decided to register and donate, so I'm kind of new to this, and still have problems even though i've searched all along the site for an answer.
    So here's the puzzle.

I want to use wiimotes to control various tracks faders, or busses or simply generate midi notes on different tracks (and different instruments, obviously).
    I managed to control a single track in this way . Connecting wiimote to osculator, and giving, for istance, the MidiCC 7 to chnl 1 for the Pich of the Wiimote. Ok; In Logics enviroment i've created a phisical input, connected OSC OUT 8000 to an instrument object and connected this one to the track. It works greatly.
    Point is that i'm not able to go beyond this. This works for generating midi notes too, but it seems there are no changes is i create other instrument objects and connect them, with other midi channels, to other tracks. I managed to control two or three tracks, but giving the same message.

I've tried going to Learn mode as explained in a tutorial for Iphone, but the control on the fader is all buzzy and it's not helping me out..

Any help please? Or a link to a useful tutorial?

Thanks.

Pietro

Hello Pietro,

Welcome on the forum!

It is not really easy to map MIDI messages to Logic. As you found out, there are two ways to do this: First is the standard MIDI messages, where for example MIDI CC 7 controls the volume of a fader. The second is to use the Learn function, but in this case Logic uses default settings that are wrong. In Logic's Controller Assignments Expert View, you must change the Value Format to Unsigned.

This is explained here in Logic's Studio manual :

There is also a similar discussion on the forum here:

Once you learn how to do this, you should be able to control anything you like.
    There are however some details to keep in mind:

For attitude angles (pitch, roll, yaw, etc.), the Wiimote is sending data all the time. If you map different MIDI messages, then you might have some difficulties to make Logic learn the

Mapping buttons is easy since they only change when you press the button, but if you want to map a value that is changing over time like an attitude angle (pitch, roll, yaw, etc.), then you must make sure that this event is soloed before you activate the Learn mode. The reason is that if you have different MIDI CC assign to several attitude angles, then all of them will be sent continuously, making it difficult to make the difference between one and another.

Then the way to map those events is like this:
    - in OSCulator, select an attitude angle, for example the line corresponding to pitch,
    - solo this message (Command-R), and assign a MIDI CC event,
    - in Logic, change a control that you want to bind,
    - activate the learn mode (Command-K),
    - now that the assignment is done, change the format to Unsigned,
    - in OSCulator, you can finally revert the solo moed by hitting Command-R again.

This is true for Logic, but also for any software that has a learn mode (Live for example).

I hope this answers your question, if you need any further details, please let me know.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hi Camille.

Thanks for the quick answer but still got problems...i made an explanatory video for you.
      Let me know where i'm doing wrong...

Pietro

link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xvcN_skd3Q

Comment

Hey Pietro,

It is a good idea to make a video.

I can see in the video you were using the Relative mode, was this intentional?
        I think this is wrong and that you want to try absolute.
        In the post I mentionned, the user was using Relative for specific reasons I guess.
        When the fader goes up, try to leave the Wiimote pointing down, you will see the the fader goes down.

Also, this might not make a big different, but I'd suggest you avoid MIDI CC 7 as it is reserved by the General MIDI standard (and this is how Logic works).
        This is easy to spot which MIDI CC are not assign to GM when you have the Value menu, press the Control, this will display the name of the CC next to their values for example "7 Volume". You can try MIDI CC 3 and you will see it does not control anything for a start. Then touch a parameter, and start the Learn function.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

Look, i tried to switch the Relative mode (i think you mean relative mode inside the learn mode menu) to other modes, but it's impossible....it automatically swithces back to relative, no matter what i set. And i cannot see either this "absolute" mode...i can see "direct, toggle, scale, relative, rotate, X-OR"..and it automatically get's back to " 2's complement" instead of staying on unsigned. I really don't get it where am I doing wrong...maybe there are some automations that conflicts with osculator? Thanks

Pietro

EDIT_

I'm upping this thread...anyone, help?

Comment

Hi Pietro,

I just tested on Logic, and here is what I can tell:
            You have to leave the "learn" mode once you have assigned a controller to a MIDI control change. If you don't leave the learn mode, Logic will keep on mapping the control change to a control you click on the interface.
            Once you have left learn mode, you can set the Format to Unsigned, and the Mode to Direct Scaled (instead of Relative).

Best,
            Cam
            Last edited by camille; 05-24-2011, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X