node ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• node ID

Hello, I was wondering if is possible to from the OSCulator side to skip the node ID number i.e "1000" or replacing that by a global node message which will communicate with everything, so the routing would be just by the arguments and will concern only by that.
    For example if I have several Synths that I want to control then immediately the osc comunication will be global and not coupled by the nodeID number.
    Best
    \K.

Hello Konstantinos,

I assume you are referring to SuperCollider's OSC messages.
    You can create a routing definition with the arguments you like.
    The first argument is arg[0], so you might want to start at arg[1].
    If you messages have a fixed number of arguments, then this is easy, your OSC routing definition might look something like this:

Screen shot 2012-01-14 at 15.42.53.png

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Well I am not sure this is what I need, I want to skip the nodeID as now I am following the setting from the example of OSCU: 1000,"rate", arg[0].
      That's fine but, I define the nodeID 1000 and that implies that the controll values has as target explicitly the Synth 1000.
      I would like to make it as targeting any Synth.
      If so is what you refer to your answer please excuse me...
      Best
      /K.
      Attached Files

Comment

Well Konstantinos, the first thing we would need is to know is if SC has a special node ID that allows to broadcast every other nodes. Or is it possible to create a node in a hierarchy and send messages to the top level node ?

You could also use a variable in place of the node ID in the OSC routings to make the OSC routing "parametrized". To set the variable to the desired values, you can force it to a specific value by setting the Output Min and Output Max scaling settings to that value. For example, have a button that sets variable 1 to 1000 and another button that sets it to 1001. But I am not sure if this is what you need.

Another option would be to send OSC messages with a format you choose and process those messages in SC directly, that is, for each targeted node, prepend the node IDs and send the processed message to SC again.

These are only suggestions, I hope this helps.

Comment

Well as far my knowledge, SC creates a node ID each time you send/load to the server a new Synth, this means that for each new Synth the node ID will be counted such 1000 for the first, 1001 for the second 1002 for the third, etc. I am not sure though if you have, or is proper to define it by yourself, and what are the consequences of doing as such.As I am looking at the SC example you define it x = nodeID = 1000.
          Skipping the nodeID in OSCulator meaning 1000,"rate", [arg0] and doing just the following: "rate",[arg0] didn't worked,and seems to be necessary of defining it.
          Is there by any chance whereas I could replace the 1000 and place a global ID meaning that I will distribute in general the values from OSCulator?
          Doing things from distance and evolving different languages, either programing or speaking could be cruel .
          Hope we find it soon or later, thanks for your patience.
          Best
          /k.

Comment

Hi Konstantinos,

Sorry for the late answer.
            I think your question is really about SC, I would strongly suggest that you have a look if there is no "global" id that would allow messaging to every other nodes.

Best,
            Cam

Comment

Working...
            X