Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP - Intermittent Failure

Hi-

I have an emergency- I'm using OSCillator to route MIDI over a Cat 5 cable. It receives MIDI going from Qlab on one computer to Qlab on another which receives MIDI. The computers are connected over Cat5 via a switch. The problem is, it only works about 90% of the time, which I can't rely on for a show. I'm trying to use this for a show opening next week and I need a solution. Plan B is USB->cat5->MIDI->USB, which is really not desirable.

I've attached the OSCulator files for any input you may have. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks!

: j
    Attached Files

Hi Jesse,

I had a look at your files and first of all, I have a suggestion to make:
    You should not route individual parameters of a MIDI note because you are in fact creating 3 OSC messages when you only need to route one. The solution here is to activate the MIDI raw mode (from the I/O tab in the Parameters Window) and route the /midi/raw/osc-in message.

You will receive on the other computer the /midi/raw/osc-in message that you can simply convert to MIDI by using the "Send to MIDI" event type and the proper MIDI Out.

Please check out the attached file that I modified with these suggestions.

Now, there may be another problem if still you have intermittent message loss. You should probably check that you cable is perfectly working. I've already had intermittent network failure with cables that were looking good but that were in fact broken, even though they haven't been moved for months.

Another thing you can do is to use the MIDI Monitor application and look for the MIDI that is received on the target computer. If it is exactly the same as what is sent, then the problem is rather on the QLab side.

I hope this will help you find the solution.

Best,
    Cam
    Attached Files

Comment

I switched it to Raw mode and it works like a charm! I also turned on "try to map back to incoming OSC" on both computers. Running smooth and reliably- thanks so much!

Comment

Hey Jesse,

Unless you really know what this does, you should turn off "try to backmap incoming OSC".

Cam

Comment

Ok- will turn it off!

thanks again,

Comment

Working...
          X