Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OSCulator shows up but won't connect thru TouchOSC

Hi Camille,

I been through much of the forum, thanks for all your expertise and knowledge!

I found your recent post "TouchOSC connection issues: Please read this!!!". I visited the hexler.net forum a couple days ago and could not find an instance or answer to my issue. I tried to register but they've not set me up with an account yet so I can't post there.

I found this tutorial here: http://pixil.info/tutorial/how-to-us...ler-for-logic/ It explains in very good detail how to set up an iPad, through TouchOSC and Osculator, as a midi controller for Logic. After opening Osculator on my MacBook Pro (Mac OS Lion) and TouchOSC on my iPad (newest iPad... I guess for the sake of this conversation we can call it the 3), I make sure that both devices are connected to the same network (my WiFi access point for my home internet). When I attempt to select local:8000 (OSCulator) through Connections > OSC: (my IP for my laptop) > Found Hosts, it will highlight that selection but do nothing. When I open Logic, local shows up in my Found Hosts list and when I select it, I am able to connect to Logic and control the Mixer (Volume), Mixer (Pan, Sends), Channel Strip, Equalizer and Software Instrument.

So I'm able to connect TouchOSC on my iPad through my network connect to Logic, but when I try to select the option specific to OSCulator, it will not let me. It's listed as an option, but it will not let me select it.

Hope this is enough information. Wondering if you've had anyone with a similar issue. Let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I saw your private message and I have not been able to answer earlier. Anyway, I guess this is better to post that kind of issue on the public forum, thanks!

I make sure that both devices are connected to the same network (my WiFi access point for my home internet). When I attempt to select local:8000 (OSCulator) through Connections > OSC: (my IP for my laptop) > Found Hosts, it will highlight that selection but do nothing.
    Yes, for me that is a usability bug. In fact TouchOSC copies the settings from what you select to the fields at the top. If those fields are already populated with the right values, then pressing a button doesn't change anything, which is confusing.

Your computer is named "local" right?

When I open Logic, local shows up in my Found Hosts list and when I select it, I am able to connect to Logic and control the Mixer (Volume), Mixer (Pan, Sends), Channel Strip, Equalizer and Software Instrument.
    So, I understand you are using the LogicPad layout with TouchOSC communicating directly with Logic, is that right?

So I'm able to connect TouchOSC on my iPad through my network connect to Logic, but when I try to select the option specific to OSCulator, it will not let me. It's listed as an option, but it will not let me select it.
    Does it means that when you touch the entry with "local:8000 (OSCulator)" in the Network Settings of TouchOSC, the fields are not changed to:
    • Host: local.local
    • Output Port: 8000

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Yes, my computer is named "local". When I touch the entry "local:8000 (OSCulator)" it will change the fields to the IP address associated with my laptop, not local.local. I tried to manually enter local.local to see if it would work and it did not, but when I touched the entry "local:8000 (OSCulator)", it changed it back to the IP address for my laptop.

When I use TouchOSC on my iPad and select "local" and not "local:8000 (OSCulator)", it automatically selects LogicPad and connects to Logic directly. It will be nice to use in this capacity but I'm really looking to use it as a MIDI controller if possible.

Thanks again for all your help with this, I really appreciate it!!

Mike

Comment

I tried to manually enter local.local to see if it would work and it did not, but when I touched the entry "local:8000 (OSCulator)", it changed it back to the IP address for my laptop.
        Strange!

When I use TouchOSC on my iPad and select "local" and not "local:8000 (OSCulator)", it automatically selects LogicPad and connects to Logic directly. It will be nice to use in this capacity but I'm really looking to use it as a MIDI controller if possible.
        You can't do that: as soon as you setup TouchOSC as a control surface in Logic, TouchOSC will automatically switch to the LogicPad layout. This behavior is hard wired into TouchOSC. However you can delete the control surface in Logic, and connect TouchOSC to OSCulator, but I wouldn't recommened using this layout because it has been designed for Logic, not for OSCulator.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Working...
        X