Host name for wifi routing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host name for wifi routing

All right, I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to wireless routing. I've written a small test OSC custom controller for my iPad. I'm sending OSC messages through a HOST and PORT number. Now, when running locally with the iPhone simulator the HOST is simply localhost. Once on the device though what does the host need to be route back to OSCulator? My routers ip? my computers ip? my computers sharing name? I want to write a function that can automatically fill in this info, much like TouchOSC, but for now I just need to figure out what needs to be hardcoded first.

Thanks

Hi,

I would recommend that you use the "Bonjour" name of your computer.
    To know or change this host name, go to the Sharing Preferences Pane, this is displayed at the top of the pane. You can use a single word without special characters to make it easy to enter in your program.

Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
      Hi,

I would recommend that you use the "Bonjour" name of your computer.
      To know or change this host name, go to the Sharing Preferences Pane, this is displayed at the top of the pane. You can use a single word without special characters to make it easy to enter in your program.

Cam
      Right that's for if I setup a AdHoc network. Meaning if I create a network with my Mac and connect my iPad to my Mac wirelessly. Is there anyway for running through a general wifi router which my mac is connected too as well as my iPad?

Comment

This isn't specific to the type of wireless network you are using. Unless I haven't exactly understood what you need, here is a link to a technical article from Apple about this subject : http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...6/en/8324.html

Comment

So I named my macbook sharing, which is running OSCulator, "bonjour". My app sends osc messages to bonjour.local on port 12345. OSCulator is set to listen to 12345. It's not working, but hypothetically this is all it should be set as? Do I need to turn Internet sharing, Remote Apple Events, or something like that on?

Comment

You are almost there.
            If you picked the name "bonjour", the host name should be "bonjour.local".
            Example:
            Screen shot 2012-04-14 at 00.36.27.png

Comment

Yea, it's not working, must be something on my side. Could it be my router?

Comment

Nope, the router has nothing to do with host name resolution.

Comment

Working...
                X