Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• midi note w/ params - scaling output to integer values

Hello again,

I am exploring ways to use osculator and a wiimote as a percussive instrument.

The basic approach is to associate a MIDI note with a wii parameter. In the attached image, I have setup /wii/2 to send MIDI note E3 when the acceleration is triggered. This is functional, but sends a limited/fixed velocity, removing the option of dynamics; and this approach has little variety in sounds (only one pitch is sent).

Screen shot 2012-04-14 at 1.04.27 PM.png

With /wii/1, I am trying to enhance this by using the MIDI Note w/ Params feature, associating velocity with the wii velocity parameter -- and trying to associate a _limited_ set of note-pitches with another parameter (such as wii-pitch or roll). My MIDI percussion instrument has a useful subset of sounds in MIDI keys C3 (60) through C5 (72). Starting small, I was hoping to use the scalings page to limit output to only a few MIDI note-pitches (60-62). *** However, this setting keeps converting to a floating point equivalent. (How)Can I force an integer output value for MIDI Note Parameters?

many thanks,
    donfede

Screen shot 2012-04-14 at 1.17.24 PM.png
    Attached Files

Hi Federico,

The Note Params setting is a bit confusing as its output range is between 0.0 and 1.0. The reason for this is historical, related to how Kyma handles notes values, so I have yet to find a way to give it a more meaningful range when used with MIDI (i.e. between 0 and 127 for example).

However note that there is a simple way to alter the range of MIDI notes produced by the MIDI Note w/ Params event. Open the Parameters Window and go to the I/O tab. There you will find a setting for the range of MIDI Notes. By default this range is set to 0-127, but you can change it to a narrower range. The Pitch range 0.0-1.0 will then map to whatever MIDI range you have set in the Parameters window.

It will affect every note produced with the MIDI Note w/ Params event, though. So if you really want to affect the pitch range for a particular event, you will have to calculate the relative value. For example for the pitch range 0.0-1.0 mapped to 0-127, the MIDI note 42 would have the floating value of 42/127 =~ 0.33.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks for the prompt feedback Camille. The functionality you describe in the "Parameters/IO/MIDI Notes w Params settings" is what I was seeking... but ideally per individual instrument/wiimote (so one wiimote might be limited to 60-62 MIDI notes, while the other may use the complete range of 0-127).

I'll explore using floating point representations of the ratios.

thanks,
      donfede

Comment

Originally posted by donfede View Post
        Hello again,

I am exploring ways to use osculator and a wiimote as a percussive instrument.

The basic approach is to associate a MIDI note with a wii parameter. In the attached image, I have setup /wii/2 to send MIDI note E3 when the acceleration is triggered. This is functional, but sends a limited/fixed velocity, removing the option of dynamics; and this approach has little variety in sounds (only one pitch is sent).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]238[/ATTACH]

With /wii/1, I am trying to enhance this by using the MIDI Note w/ Params feature, associating velocity with the wii velocity parameter -- and trying to associate a _limited_ set of note-pitches with another parameter (such as wii-pitch or roll). My MIDI percussion instrument has a useful subset of sounds in MIDI keys C3 (60) through C5 (72). Starting small, I was hoping to use the scalings page to limit output to only a few MIDI note-pitches (60-62). *** However, this setting keeps converting to a floating point equivalent. (How)Can I force an integer output value for MIDI Note Parameters?

many thanks,
        donfede

[ATTACH=CONFIG]240[/ATTACH]
        I think that will work.

Comment

Working...
        X