OSCulator Plug-in for Logic Pro 9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Ashirvad,

I am sorry but this limitation does not come from the OSCulator Plugin for Logic, but rather the SDK it uses to integrate into Logic. I will have a look to see if that is possible in Logic X, but I highly doubt there is an API for this.

Best,
    Camille

Comment

Hello Cam,

That's very kind of you. If you can suggest any possible way to accomplish this, I would also be very grateful.
      Thanks!

Ashirvad

Comment

Hi Cam
        I'm wondering if the Osculator Plugin for Logic Pro works with Logic X and 10.9. I can't seem to find the Library/Application Support/MIDI Device Plug-ins folder that is referred to in the documentation. Actually I have a more general question, I'm trying to use Osculator to connect a Wacom Bamboo to Logic X on 10.9 to send pitch, pressure and modulation to control software synths, is this still possible and could you direct me to a tutorial or documentation? It's been a couple of years since I last used Osculator so it's all a bit hazy.

Cheers Marcus

Comment

Hi Marcus,

I reckon you don't need the OSCulator Plugin for Logic Pro to control Logic X.
          This plugin is designed to give you access to Logic as a control surface, using the OSC protocol.

Now, you should be able to use the "MIDI learn" function to map a MIDI Control Change message sent from OSCulator to Logic. I am sorry there is no specific tutorial to explain how to do this, but you can get an idea of what to do with this tutorial for TouchOSC and Logic here: http://www.osculator.net/doc/tutorial:2:c

Search for the text "On the iPhone, switch to page 3, the one with red faders. Move the first one, then in OSCulator, assign MIDI CC 8 on channel 1.".
          You will see that the user assigns a MIDI CC to a message in OSCulator (so that's what you must do with a message coming from the Wacom Tablet), and uses the "MIDI learn" function to map this MIDI CC to something in Logic...

Best,
          Cam

Comment

Thanks Cam
            Got it working, thanks for the lead.
            Cheers Marcus

Comment

Hi Camille,
              bought OSCulator yesterday and I'm quite happy with it and the Logic Plugin: at last I can have my BCR2000 receiving MIDI feedback!!!
              I've successfully mapped the logic EQ but what I would like to accomplish is, more or less like Chab, having my BCR 2000 acting like a channel strip.

So I would like to control few parameters from insert 1 (let's say Britson gain) few other from insert 2 (e.g. gate), few from insert 3 and so on (eq, compressor, etc etc). I could of course use the Logic Controller Assignment Learn function but I will have no MIDI feedback in that case.

Could a build you mention, with an increased number of params, hep here or a "pageless" and "insrtless" version would be needed?

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Fulvio

Comment

Hi Fulvio,

Here is some feedback I received from Chab (the original requester of more parameters) soon after he tested the new build:

Hi Camille,

In case you wanted to give the 64params build to other, i have some weird problems with it. Standalone tests on independent parameters works fine, both ways: osculator->logic & logic->osculator. But when using many params together in real world, Logic starts messing around randomly: I'm not receiving all the expected msgs from Logic, and it progressively gets worse. I suspect that Logic (or the bundle) has too many "controller assignments" to handle simultaneously and gets naughty. :-D Same config with the 16params assignments works great.

Anyway, don't worry, I start understanding why 64 params is not common, lol LOTS of messages are involved on any simple action! So.. i'll find my way with 16params + some custom "zone modes" in Logic. I'll share it on the forum when ok.

Thanks again for your help!
                Chab
                I would not recommend using more parameters, is there any way you could with a more simple setup?

Cheers,
                Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,
                  I'd like to use the Osculator plugin to have a /logic/track/name msg sent out to Osculator to direct forward to an iPad to lemur (for switching interfaces).
                  So far I can see the activity in Osculator,so when I mouse click a track in Logic,I see a number of entries show the yellow light in Osculator-I know I have communication from LPX to Osculator.What I'd like to know is if the Logic track name gets sent out as part of the osc msg address,or is it in the argument? Ideally I'd like to have a discreet osc address sent out for each track so the iPad can switch to the right controls.(articulations for instruments,midi cc etc) I need more then 8,so I can't use the track/focus/ .

I'm wondering ,if the above does not work,can I use track ID instead?

any thoughts welcome...
                  Last edited by dburns; 09-04-2015, 05:16 PM.

Comment

While I'm waiting,just wanted to add that I see in the Console app-

/logic/track/name: "Audio_1"

as a message from osculator when i click on the track named "Audio_1" on the LPX arrange page.This is routed to the console log via simple msg.So I see that LPX is indeed sending out some form of track name by way of using the osculator plugin,and I can click the many tracks and the names are broadcast out via osc message.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this is the same as-

/logic/track/name/Audio_1

Because at the moment the Lemur app in the iPad is not responding to this,and will not accept an osc message in the exact format as the console app is showing.In Lemur there can be no spaces.

so close.....

Comment

Hi,

The message /logic/track/name is sent when a track is select with the track name as a string argument. You should be able to route this message to the Lemur. In the Console app, what you see is a textual representation of the message, the colon and the space are only there to separate the address from the list of arguments. I am not sure exactly how you can set the contents of a label widget in Lemur but I guess routing the message with a string argument to the proper OSC address should work.

Best,
                      Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,
                        I know I'm very late to the party here, but I used OSCulator for an assignment recently and saw that you made a plugin for Logic.

Is this compatible with Logic Pro X?
                        Also, in the README from the zip file you've attached it says to:

"Copy the file "OSCulator.bundle" into one of the following directories:
                        • ~/Library/Application Support/MIDI Device Plug-ins
                        • /Library/Application Support/MIDI Device Plug-ins"

I am unable to find a MIDI Device Plug-ins folder the application support folder in finder.. Do you have any possible solutions?
                        Many thanks

Comment

Hello Jonno,

If the folder does not exist, you can just create it. Be sure to use the exact same name.
                          The plugin works with Logic Pro X without problem.

Best,
                          Cam

Comment

Thanks so much!

Comment

Logic Pro X Input from Lemur

I installed the Logic Plugin which appears as a control surface, ii have lemur connected with knob sending and OSc Message

/Ring_01/Knob1/x as Event type osc Message and Value D (Rewrite to same address)

The output monitor of osculator shows sending /Ring_01/Knob1/x , but no matter how i try im not able to see this appear in logic or set it as a controller assignment? or basically have any effects on an logic paramaters at all?

I would really like to be able to send osc messages to control logic parameters.. what am i missing?

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 9.26.56 AM.pngScreen Shot 2017-01-28 at 9.27.17 AM.jpg

Comment

Hi Helios,

The message sent from your Lemur through OSCulator must be translated to something meaningful for the Logic Pro Plugin. Logic has no way of knowing what to do with /Ring_01/Knob1/x.

The included documentation gives you the list of all supported OSC addresses. In order to make it less tedious to type all possible addresses, a file with the oroutes extension is provided, which contains a set of pre-canned OSC routes.

Best,
                                Cam

Comment

Working...
                                X