Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI Note - note off with 127 value prevents Live toggles from working

Hello all,

I came across a minor challenge with OSCulator the other day. I have a wiimote connected to OSCulator, and a MIDI Note event associated with an event (such as Button A press).

I was trying to map that MIDI Note, to Enabling/Disabling a plugin(ex: reverb) within Ableton Live - but the toggle was not working from OSCulator. Checking if this was a limitation of Live, I next tried mapping the same MIDI Note from my physical MIDI keyboard (bypassing OSCulator), and as expected the plugin would turn on/off successfully.

Looking closer at the MIDI messages sent by OSCulator vs. those sent by the physical MIDI keyboard (MidiPipe was very useful to see the differences), I saw that OSCulator sends a Note-Off MIDI message But with a value of "127" (maximum MIDI value), versus the MIDI keyboard that would send a variety of values depending on my finger pressure on the key.

I suspect that Live is treating the Note-Off message with a value of 127, not as a Note-Off message, but rather as a Note-On message. While I had read about similar behaviour with Note-On messages (ie: a Note-On message with a value of 0 is == to a Note-Off message), I have not found something confirming the same for Note-Off messages.

While the manual (http://dl.osculator.net/doc/OSCulator+2.11+Manual.pdf) p.33 mentions being able to change this default value of 127 with the "Channel Velocity", I was unable to figure out how to actually make that change.

regards,
    donfede

Hi donfede,

I am a bit surprised about the problem you describe, because I just tried with a Wiimote, and MIDI Note event and Live. I assigned the MIDI Note C0 to the mute button of the first track. Pressing once mutes the tracks, and pressing the button a second time unmutes the track. As you noted, MIDI Monitor reports that the Note On and Note Off velocities are 127.

From the MIDI spec, like what you said, a Note On message with a velocity 0, means Note Off. But I have found nowhere that a Note Off message with a velocity different than 0 does not mean Note On.

What version of Live are you using?
    I have version 8.2.7 on my computer.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

I have Live version 8 (I'll look closer later this week).

Please try enabling/disabling a plugin, such as reverb (clicking on the little power icon at the top-left of the plugin).

I'll try and stop by my music lab later this weekend and can provide more specific details and steps.

regards,
      donfede

Comment

Working...
      X