Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIDI Clock Commands to OSC

Hi,
    im sending midi clock commands from Logic to Osculator. Osculator is picking them up and I'm getting what I'd expect,

/midi/clock/continue
    midi/clock/stop
    midi/clock/position followed by the beat and sub-beat arguments.

When I use Logics transport I get green indicators in Osculator and that's fine. As soon as I route the message to my default OSC routing, I am getting red indicators. I haven't yet rewritten addresses or arguments. I'm not sure what could be causing this.

As for the position (song position pointer) if I should get the above issue cleared away, do I need to route all 3 lines to the same OSC routing, ie message, argument 0 and argument 1?

Im trying to get logic to tell Lemur what marker the project is presently sitting at. Song position pointers seems to be the right animal. Im also trying to get a stop and playing indication on Lemur, but so far I've had trouble getting Osculator to send any of these messages to an OSC route.

Thanks for any attention on this.

Hi Randall,

When I use Logics transport I get green indicators in Osculator and that's fine. As soon as I route the message to my default OSC routing, I am getting red indicators. I haven't yet rewritten addresses or arguments. I'm not sure what could be causing this.
    When a OSC routing blink red it means there is an error.
    If you are using a Bonjour discovered target (not a IP address), it will mean that it is not present.
    If you are using a IP address it should never happen.

I think you are using a broadcast IP address (from our last discussions), are you sure you are using the correct OSCulator version?

As for the position (song position pointer) if I should get the above issue cleared away, do I need to route all 3 lines to the same OSC routing, ie message, argument 0 and argument 1?
    Please let me recommend the first chapter of the OSCulator manual, that explains how OSC messages are made, I think it is worth a read: http://dl.osculator.net/doc/OSCulator+2.12+Manual.pdf

You don't need to route the three lines.
    The first line represents the whole OSC message (the address and its arguments). The OSC routing event gets access to the message and its two arguments.
    The two other lines are the OSC arguments, in which case the only information you have access to is the value of the single argument.

So, if the receiver of the message needs to receive both arguments in the same OSC message, you would use the first line.
    Or if the receiver only needs one argument only, then you would choose the second or the third line, which is more easy to use.

Back to your marker position problem:
    I don't know how you want to display the marker position on the Lemur, but you will certainly only need to use the first argument, with the proper scaling so the range of values spans the control used to show the song position.

I tried /midi/clock/position and I found it gives values that are not properly calibrated. I can't exactly if this is a problem from OSCulator, but there is an easy way to workaround this by adjusting the scaling of the value. You will have to adjust the Input Min and Input Max settings to get the correct range of values (see Scalings Page to adjust the scalings). The Quick Look function is your friend to help you adjust the values with respect to your Logic project, and your Lemur layout.

The following screenshot may be helpful:

Screen shot 2012-08-09 at 12.14.42.jpg

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks for the little tutorial on the 3 lines. I had read that chapter, but while it explained the messaging it didn't have details about how to actually deal with them when OSC routing. You've made this much clearer for me, thank you.

Indeed Osculator was reloading as the old build on startup and that was my problem with the errors! Oy, I've gotta watch that stuff. I've deleted the old build so it can't happen again.

Great tips on the marker, song position stuff. I'll keep experimenting. FYI, so you know what I'm doing.....

Each performer on stage has an iPhone on their mic stand. Using Lemur, each of them can control their own cue mix, or each others, coming from Logic going to their wireless In-Ear gadgets. Click, backing track stems, etc. They love that. two of them have access to the set list and can cue up the next song with a Go To Marker command. I'm presently working on having Logic send a confirmation of the selection (marker) by transmitting the song position to Lemur. So I'll display something like "song 3 cued up" so they know For sure that Logic is in the right place to start song 3.

Additionally, I've got an iPad I roam around front of house mixing the house mix. I can q up songs too. If any IOS device goes down, all have access to others templates and can get the job done. 2 iPads, 3 iPhones at last count.

Ive done tons of Logic environment programming, so that parts easy for me. Osculator is brilliant for translating the midi to OSC and vice-versa. Lemur seems very stable and reliable, just tricky to program. I'm persevering though!

Comment

Ok, I set my in max to 50000 and that seems to give me solid, repeatable values. Looks like this is going to work!

Comment

Sounds really exciting!
          Have you chosen a specific wireless acces point or router?

Comment

I'm using an Asus router in Access Point mode with the Mac wired Ethernet to it. The MacBook and I-devices all have fixed ip's. No firewall, no dhcp, just a local network. It's working really well.

One question about the song position pointer, though.... Lemur appears to be having a problem with the float number, see this thread:

Would it be possible for Osculator to convert the float value contained in the outgoing OSC message to an integer value. Might save me some headaches on the Lemur side of things.

Comment

Ok, I solved this one. Setting the in and out min and max to 0-100000 gives me good values I can use in Lemur.

Comment

Working...
              X