One two computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One two computers

Hi, is there a way to use just one wii to send its OSC data from OSCulator to two computers ? I guess I have to define into which IP address I must transmit the data from OSCulator and the port as well ? But has anyone done it ? Is it stable to use OSCulator for this ? SuperCollider is the receiver here and some OSC responders in it will wait for the incoming osc data.

Best
    K.

Sorry for the misleading subject title, I meant one Wii two computers.

Comment

I think I have found the solution, (assuming both computers are logged into the same network, and both running OSCulator), I think this is it ? Please Confirm:
      First option, use OSCulator's Duplicate command. This solution is better when you only want to duplicate some messages on two computer, and is easier to configure.
      • First, run OSCulator on both computers.
      • Choose one computer as the master and the other as the slave.
      • In the main list of the master computer, locate the message you want to send to the slave computer, and duplicate it (Command-D)
      • Open the Parameters Window, and go to the OSC tab
      • In the table at the top, define a new target by choosing an empty slot, click on the gear icon, then choose the item that matches your slave computer (you should see the OSCulator service with your computer name in the list). Remember the slot number (most of the time it should be slot number 2).
      • In the table at the bottom, add a new routing by clicking the + button, and change the slot number from default slot (Đ) to the number you've just memorized (2 for instance).
      • Close the Parameters Window.
      • Finally assign the newly created OSC routing to one of your duplicated message.

Comment

Hi Konstantinos,

Yes, you can use OSCulator to send Wiimote data to several computers.

I would recommend another approach, that I find a bit more simple.
        1. Copy the "Wiimote to Max" file in the Samples Library, this file simply sends all Wiimote OSC messages to the current computer on network port 9000 (this will be changed in the next step).
        2. Change the OSC target to your desired target. To do this, open the Parameters Window, go to the OSC tab, and replace localhost:9000 by your desired hostort combination, that is, the hostort combination for the computer running SuperCollider. You can find the computer's host name by looking up in the Sharing Preference Pane:
          computer name.png
          The port is given by SuperCollider. So for example, if the port is 6789, the target would be: tortilla.local.:6789
          It is useful to use the computer's network name instead of an IP address because you don't need to change it when the network configuration changes.
        3. Copy this file again using another file name, and again change the target this time for the other computer.
        4. You have now two files that you can open at the same time, each of which sending OSC message from one Wiimote to two different computers.

Best,
        Cam
        Last edited by camille; 03-18-2013, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Hi I found the name issue problematic, this way that you suggest (if I understood, correctly) doesn't appear to be the proper here it is how I placed it with the name of my machine (the internal one): Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 18.05.07.png
          the leds are red until I will change it to localhost:57120, then they become green and the data is transmited to the SC.
          Should this be happen?
          Btw, I am in Osculator Version 2.12.6.
          Best
          K.

Comment

Sorry, you are right, I just needed to pick also the route, and choose the route number to which I wish to send the data, so the route is also needed to that case yeah ?

Best
            K.

Comment

You should only need to change the target definition.

KV.localhost does not look like a correct host.
              Maybe you meant "KV.local."?

Comment

Hmm, this is what I tried in the beginning but the "local." (the dot in the end) was causing issues, so I skipped it, this is now how it works properly:Screen Shot 2013-03-18 at 19.41.20.jpg
                First, I find it strange that both are working with "local" as, afaik local is for 127.0.0.1 which is internal address to one computer, right ?

Anyways, it works, the other thing I want to ask is how does the route affect the whole process, the way I take it, is that I have to pick the correct number of it in order the transmission to be send to the corresponding address, can you elaborate on that a bit ?
                Thanks
                Best
                K.

Comment

Hmm, this is what I tried in the beginning but the "local." (the dot in the end) was causing issues, so I skipped it, this is now how it works properly
                  Ahh, right.

First, I find it strange that both are working with "local" as, afaik local is for 127.0.0.1 which is internal address to one computer, right ?
                  No, "localhost" denotes the current computer, and "computer.local" denotes the host "computer" in the "local" domain. The "local" domain is a special domain that works with Bonjour (Apple's zero-configuration technology).

Anyways, it works, the other thing I want to ask is how does the route affect the whole process, the way I take it, is that I have to pick the correct number of it in order the transmission to be send to the corresponding address, can you elaborate on that a bit ?
                  You don't need to set a different target number in both files, this is why I suggested you just had to copy the file and change the target definition.

The targets are network OSC device.
                  An OSC Routing sends the OSC message is creates to the specified OSC target.

You can have a look at page 38 in the user's manual. If you need more details, don't hesitate to ask!

Cam

Comment

Thanks, in terms of stability, is there any known issues ?
                    I am a bit cautious cause there is a lot of network traffic on this set up between computers, a lot of send and receive that is going on from SuperCollider.
                    Should this add any risk on the cpu, or other problems ?
                    Btw, I noticed that when using a Mac network when I try to send messages or to receive from OSCulator it will not find the host, as soon I switch to the lan network then works, is there any known issue about that ?

Best
                    K.

Comment

There is no stability issue, CPU should double from a single remote configuration, but I wouldn't care about this since I don't consider CPU usage as a representative measure.

If you have fear of stability issues, you should probably run your setup and see how it performs. As I said, there should be no problem on OSCulator side.

Btw, I noticed that when using a Mac network when I try to send messages or to receive from OSCulator it will not find the host, as soon I switch to the lan network then works, is there any known issue about that ?
                      Not to my knowledge. Would you have both Ethernet and Airport networks connected at the same time?
                      It could be that SuperCollider only receives from the primary network interface, which should be the Ethernet network if the cable is plugged in.

Comment

No, I am using entirely wireless connections. Seems quite peculiar, by testing it I found out that, if I try to connect first into a mac net. it will not work, it will work though as soon I will make a successful connection through a Lan (by a router) net. and then go back to the mac net.
                        I am thinking of adopitng a router and connect into that by ethernet for stability reasons, if that makes sense.

Best
                        K.

Comment

Ah ok, sorry I think I was confused by the terms "Mac net".
                          Yes, a wired network would be better than a wireless network.

Comment

Working...
                          X