Arduino board and OSCulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arduino board and OSCulator

Is there any way or future prospect to use Arduino through OSCulator ?

That is a serial port technology, so is there any hack around that OSCulator would read the serial port ?

Best
    K.

Hi Konstantinos,

This is something I would like to integrate some time in the future. I haven't had the time to deeply think about how it would work. I understand a custom firmware must be assembled in order to have the desired input and outputs.

In the meantime, aren't there already serial-to-OSC bridges existing?
    Another option is to use an Ethernet port on the Arduino board and program it so it sends OSC to OSCulator. I have friend that did that recently, it did not seem too complex...

Best,
    Cam

Comment

This is something I would like to integrate some time in the future. I haven't had the time to deeply think about how it would work. I understand a custom firmware must be assembled in order to have the desired input and outputs.
      Well as a user, it would be nice to follow something like the fashion of the WiiMote, formatting and sending messages from and to the board. And with a relative openness, where one will be able to define his/her input and output pins in respect of his/her board model.
      You might want to check the ArduinoSMS library for inspiration, this is what I am using now with MaxMsp & SuperCollider, no need to interfere with the Arduino software once you upload the SMS into the board.

In the meantime, aren't there already serial-to-OSC bridges existing?
      Yeah, many, one and most convenient is the Processing side for work on that manner. It just takes some lines of doing that, and both use the same syntax, basic syntax rules for c++ me feels.

Another option is to use an Ethernet port on the Arduino board and program it so it sends OSC to OSCulator. I have friend that did that recently, it did not seem too complex...
      No, is not complex at all, I guess with the Ethernet shield must be a piece of cake, or even better with the WiFi shield as it fells in the category of how you would treat tablets and other OSC connected peripherals.

Only drawback is that, these extra shields are a bit of un-worthy expense (arguably of-course), but would make big sense if one would like to do something with ad-hoc network performance or installation or any other collective act. That said, feels more close of buying that WiFi shield now . Will Save me from some Coding !!

Best
      K.ß

Comment

Hi K.,

I think there is interesting work to do on Arduino and OSCulator.
        I will be busy until mid-May on urgent matters, then I'll be happy to investigate this problem more deeply.
        Do you know if there are Bluetooth Low Energy shields available for Arduino?

Cam

Comment

I will be busy until mid-May on urgent matters, then I'll be happy to investigate this problem more deeply.
          Good to know.

Do you know if there are Bluetooth Low Energy shields available for Arduino?

Comment

Thanks for the link!

Comment

I purchased a Teensy board with a starter LED + buttons kit. Should help me get started...

Comment

I made some research and it seems there is no "easy to use" bridge application that would pipe data from a serial link (typically for an Arduino board or Raspberry Pi).

Here are some requirements I identified for such a tool:
                - connect to OSCulator on launch automatically.
                - pipe and decode SLIP OSC from the serial line and send it to OSCulator.
                - expose a OSC input so OSCulator can find the bridge automatically and send data back to the board as SLIP OSC.
                - and the most important: try to reconnect when connection is lost with the serial line, which seems an interesting feature when you load code and lose the serial link.

At the moment, I don't want to integrate such a tool inside OSCulator, but I see a good fit for an external tool. What do you think K?

If there are already such tools, please let me know I would be interesting to have a look at them.

Best,
                Cam

Comment

Hi Camille, I haven't much time to check this now, but if you like you can send me the application to test it as soon I will find some time, not earlier than the end of summer.

Best
                  K.

Comment

Working...
                  X