Using an iPod touch to change container tabs on an iPad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using an iPod touch to change container tabs on an iPad

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I have one more if you don't mind.

I have a 32 button pad on my ipad which switches the tabs in a container. Is it possible to control the container tabs the exact same way from an iPod touch to the iPad? I need to free up some space on my interface.

So far what I have tried was copying the module from the iPad, then dropping it on to the iPod. From there I was using OSCulator to try and reroute the data but I have been unable to figure out how to do this.

Because the container tab does not exist on the iPod, the original script does not work and I have no idea what alterations if any would make it so.

Thank you
    PK

Hi PK!

No worries, this forum is there to help.

I have a 32 button pad on my ipad which switches the tabs in a container. Is it possible to control the container tabs the exact same way from an iPod touch to the iPad? I need to free up some space on my interface.
    I'm sorry I don't understand what you are trying to achieve.
    It would be great if you could post a small example of the precise problem you are having, then I'll be able to search for a solution.

Thanks!
    Cam

Comment

Hey Cam,

This might be more of a Lemur question really, but nobody seems able to help as not one person has replied to several of my posts over there unfortunately.

Anyway, I have Lemur running on an iPad and an iPod. On the iPad I have a project with one large container with around 32 tabs. Next to it I have a Multi-Pad with 32 buttons that are used to change the tabs (I hide the selection tabs that exist in the container). This was set up so I could use midi cc/notes to remotely change the container tabs via Ableton by triggering the Multi-pad (selection tabs in the container are unable to receive MIDI).
      All this is done because I will not be able to see the screen on my iPad as I use it. Because of that, I want the Multi-Pad off the screen so I do not accidently change the container tab. What I would like to do is take that same Multi-Pad module and put it on an iPod touch.

The main question is can I send Lemur Scripts through Osculator from the iPod to the iPad?

I will also be reading the manual again and focusing on OSC routings as I seem to have a serious lack of understanding on how it works. Because I am not sure about sending scripts through OSCulator, I tried to send midi CC's from the Multi-Pad module on the iPod to the Multi-Pad on the iPad. What I can't figure out is how to have either Multi-Pad send MIDI and also be assigned OSC routing. Should I be assigning the Multi-Pads in Lemur as a MIDI CC then in OSCulator only assign them as OSC Routings? I need to learn more about Lemur too it seems.

Thanks for your time again. I'll be working all of tonight on this so I may figure it out, but any advice/help will be appreciated.

Thanks
      PK

Comment

selection tabs in the container are unable to receive MIDI
        This surprises me, I thought any widget could be controlled externally, at least using OSC messages. I could be wrong though, this needs verification on this specific case.

All this is done because I will not be able to see the screen on my iPad as I use it. Because of that, I want the Multi-Pad off the screen so I do not accidently change the container tab. What I would like to do is take that same Multi-Pad module and put it on an iPod touch.

The main question is can I send Lemur Scripts through Osculator from the iPod to the iPad?
        So if I understand correctly, Lemur on the iPad has to reflect the state of Ableton Live, while the iPod is used as a remote controller (changing the "tabs" on the iPad).

Then if the iPod is merely something that acts on the iPad, why is it going through Live ? It seems a bit complicated to me, you try to control the iPad directly from the iPod, unless I missed something.

What do mean by Lemus Scripts? I assume you mean OSC message, and yes it is possible, you will have to use the OSC Routing event.

Feel free to ask other questions as you discover the new concepts or issues.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
          This surprises me, I thought any widget could be controlled externally, at least using OSC messages. I could be wrong though, this needs verification on this specific case.
          I was told that on the Lemur Forum. It would be a cleaner setup if I am wrong so I hope that is the case.

So if I understand correctly, Lemur on the iPad has to reflect the state of Ableton Live, while the iPod is used as a remote controller (changing the "tabs" on the iPad).
          I want to have the iPad sequencing drums in the drum rack (other post) and also receiving OSC/MIDI from both Ableton and the iPod to change the container tabs (the container tabs hold all the different drum pads I have assigned to different songs' drum samples). Ableton would be able to change the tabs at set points in the song (i.e. the beginning of a new song, the next tab will be triggered and the appropriate drum pad will display) while I can use the iPod to change the tabs when I choose.

Then if the iPod is merely something that acts on the iPad, why is it going through Live ? It seems a bit complicated to me, you try to control the iPad directly from the iPod, unless I missed something.
          Actually, the iPod is not going through live. I am trying to set it up to speak directly to the iPad through Osculator while both the iPod and iPad are running the app Lemur. This is where I am stumped. I have setup two identical "Multi Pads" in the Lemur app on both the iPod and the iPad. I then trigger the pads and locate them in OSCulator. From here is where I get a little confused. Essentially all I want to do is re-route the action of me hitting a single button in the Multi-Pad (0-31) on the iPod that will then trigger the "twin" button on the iPad, which then changes the container tab.
          Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to get Ableton to change the container tabs either. I had a method, but it seems that the Multi-pad I am using for tab switching will send every pads' data at the same time. When I go to Midi Map a "clip" in Ableton that is intended to change a container tab on Lemur, I end up with the first pad's midi message no matter what pad I hit. For example, in Osculator, the Multi pad shows up as
          Code:
          [INDENT] /Pads2/x        
               2  etc...
          [/INDENT]
          If I assign "pad 0" to Midi cc 20, then assign "pad 1" to Midi cc 21 and so on, then monitor the Midi Output of the Multi-pad, this is what happens:

trigger "pad 0" = Midi cc 20, Midi cc 21, Midi cc 22 etc...
          trigger "pad 0" = Midi cc 20, Midi cc 21, Midi cc22 etc...

So when I go to assign one of the Pads on the Multi pad to an object in Ableton, I can only Map one object as all the other pads send the same data. I can't tell if this is a Lemur issue or an Osculator issue.

What do mean by Lemus Scripts? I assume you mean OSC message, and yes it is possible, you will have to use the OSC Routing event.
          Lemur scripts are what you need to write when you custom interfaces on the app Lemur. I am certainly not positive, but I don't believe they are the same thing. They seem to be local code that is used to create interactions and such between two objects in a project.
          Last edited by camille; 06-05-2013, 02:49 PM. Reason: Just some quick formatting

Comment

Originally posted by Prokat99 View Post
            I was told that on the Lemur Forum. It would be a cleaner setup if I am wrong so I hope that is the case.
            Have you seen this message on the forum.
            It seems there is a script API to select a tab in a container, and you can connect a script to an OSC message, so this should be possible:

I want to have the iPad sequencing drums in the drum rack (other post) and also receiving OSC/MIDI from both Ableton and the iPod to change the container tabs (the container tabs hold all the different drum pads I have assigned to different songs' drum samples). Ableton would be able to change the tabs at set points in the song (i.e. the beginning of a new song, the next tab will be triggered and the appropriate drum pad will display) while I can use the iPod to change the tabs when I choose.
            OK.

Actually, the iPod is not going through live. I am trying to set it up to speak directly to the iPad through Osculator while both the iPod and iPad are running the app Lemur.
            Since they both send and receive OSC, there is no real need to go through OSCulator.

This is where I am stumped. I have setup two identical "Multi Pads" in the Lemur app on both the iPod and the iPad. I then trigger the pads and locate them in OSCulator. From here is where I get a little confused. Essentially all I want to do is re-route the action of me hitting a single button in the Multi-Pad (0-31) on the iPod that will then trigger the "twin" button on the iPad, which then changes the container tab.
            Unfortunately I haven't been able to figure out how to get Ableton to change the container tabs either. I had a method, but it seems that the Multi-pad I am using for tab switching will send every pads' data at the same time.
            That's how Lemur works, multi-things object send their whole state on each user interaction.

When I go to Midi Map a "clip" in Ableton that is intended to change a container tab on Lemur, I end up with the first pad's midi message no matter what pad I hit. For example, in Osculator, the Multi pad shows up as
            Code:
            [INDENT] /Pads2/x        
                 2  etc...
            [/INDENT]
            If I assign "pad 0" to Midi cc 20, then assign "pad 1" to Midi cc 21 and so on, then monitor the Midi Output of the Multi-pad, this is what happens:

trigger "pad 0" = Midi cc 20, Midi cc 21, Midi cc 22 etc...
            trigger "pad 0" = Midi cc 20, Midi cc 21, Midi cc22 etc...

So when I go to assign one of the Pads on the Multi pad to an object in Ableton, I can only Map one object as all the other pads send the same data. I can't tell if this is a Lemur issue or an Osculator issue.
            Yes, that is a classic Ableton Live mapping issue.
            OSCulator has a solution for this:

- In the list, select the message argument you want to map (the one that has the interesting MIDI CC assigned)
            - Choose Routing -> Solo or press Command-R, this will "solo"-out this specific event.
            - Do the mapping in Live.
            - Back to OSCulator, press Command-R again, to leave solo mode.

Lemur scripts are what you need to write when you custom interfaces on the app Lemur. I am certainly not positive, but I don't believe they are the same thing. They seem to be local code that is used to create interactions and such between two objects in a project.
            Now I get it, see the beginning of my message.
            In the (desktop based) Lemur editor, you can create a script, and trigger it from OSC.
            It seems you even have access to the OSC argument via a variable.

Best,
            Cam

Comment

A little farther down the path

Have you seen this message on the forum.
              It seems there is a script API to select a tab in a container, and you can connect a script to an OSC message, so this should be possible:

I am gonna look into that tonight. I have a lot to learn.

Since they both send and receive OSC, there is no real need to go through OSCulator.
              Really? I had no idea I could do that. Is it simply a matter of the iPod "targeting" the iPad in Lemur settings? If not, could you please explain or point me to some examples/info?
              Also, being that I copied the Module from the iPad to the iPod and it contains the same script, are there any alterations that need to be done to the iPod Module script to tell it to send the data to the iPad?

That's how Lemur works, multi-things object send their whole state on each user interaction.
              Got it.

Yes, that is a classic Ableton Live mapping issue.
              OSCulator has a solution for this:

- In the list, select the message argument you want to map (the one that has the interesting MIDI CC assigned)
              - Choose Routing -> Solo or press Command-R, this will "solo"-out this specific event.
              - Do the mapping in Live.
              - Back to OSCulator, press Command-R again, to leave solo mode.
              Sweet! That solves my issue, thanks!

Thanks,
              PK
              Last edited by camille; 06-05-2013, 06:50 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

Oops, I must have posted incorrectly. I actually have responses and questions in the box above my "Thanks".
                Sorry if they are hard to find/read.

Here was the main thing I needed to figure out.

Really? I had no idea I could do that. Is it simply a matter of the iPod "targeting" the iPad in Lemur settings? If not, could you please explain or point me to some examples/info?
                Also, being that I copied the Module from the iPad to the iPod and it contains the same script, are there any alterations that need to be done to the iPod Module script to tell it to send the data to the iPad?

Comment

No worries, I just reformatted the message.

It's just a matter of targeting your iPad from the settings of your iPod.

This I can't tell you, but to avoid any confusion, I generally test one small concept at a time on a clean canvas, i.e. if possible at all try to start from a new layout file.

Best,
                  Cam

Comment

Working...
                  X