Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does OSCulator break MIDI connection after no activity for 1 minute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does OSCulator break MIDI connection after no activity for 1 minute?

I am experiencing a strange issue where Lemur on my iPad, running through OSCulator and triggering drum samples in Ableton as well as other MIDI devices, seems to disconnect after a minute or so if I don't touch it. If I touch it once and hold the drum pad down, it will eventually trigger (after about 1 second). If I do the same for other buttons that speak with other MIDI instruments, the button the Lemur reacts, but no midi is sent until I lift my finger, and press again.
    Any ideas?

Thx
    PK

Hey PK,

It really sounds like a WiFi network issue.
    It there any chance you could try plugging your computer with an Ethernet cable to reduce the number of WiFi links?

OSCulator's connection is pretty robust, but the WiFi network isn't, maybe this will help:

Best,
    Cam

Comment

I am using a router right now as I am working on my Mac Pro (no wifi card). When I move to performance, I'll be using my MacBook Pro and I will do an ad Hoc network, which should solve this.
      Thx

Comment

PK, the internal WiFi adapter of MacBooks are weaker than a base station.
        Ad-hoc networks are known to be not very good on stage.

I don't about about the newest 2012 MacBooks 13" and 15" though.

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
          PK, the internal WiFi adapter of MacBooks are weaker than a base station.
          Ad-hoc networks are known to be not very good on stage.

I don't about about the newest 2012 MacBooks 13" and 15" though.
          Good to know as I was going to be depending on the internal Wifi adapter on my 2010 MBP.
          Are there any base stations you would recommend? I am now looking at the Apple Airport Express, any experience with that one?

Thx
          PK

Comment

I remember Apple changed something to the configuration of Airport Express which prevented or rendered very difficult to bridge the WiFi and Ethernet interfaces. It seems that you can still use the Ethernet port but you will have to choose a static address (which is not a big deal) but the configuration is a bit tricky. I really like the Asus WL-330N or WL330NUL. They have a really small form factor and I know from a friend that they work well.

My advice is that you should try with your built-in adapter and see how it goes. If you feel that there are dropouts or it takes too long to connect to the ad-hoc WiFi network, go for a dedicated router.

Best,
            Cam

Comment

Working...
            X