Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection fails, yes I've been following instructions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Camille,
    I tried many things, without success. I have used Osculator on 2 MacBooks (running 10.9 and 10.10) and it still works on both, and the battery in the Wiimote shows 100%. I have 2.13.2
    I want to switch to a new(used) MacMini running 10.6.8 and tried all your suggestions. Bluetooth works in this sense: It sees the Wiimote and it can pair with my iPhone.
    Running the Osculator-Kext thingy gives this:
    Last login: Wed Apr 1 17:37:07 on ttys000
    Karl-xxx-Mac-mini:~ karlxxx$ /Users/karlbeyk/Downloads/OSCulatorKext-Info.command ; exit;
    Index Refs Address Size Wired Name (Version) <Linked Against>
    logout

[Process completed]

I tried 2.13.2, then 2.11.2.2, then 2.13.2.
    I turned on and off the "Install the Virtual Joystick kernel extension. After each change, I rebooted and tried to pair with the red button again. I tried to force quit blued, and it didn't go away. It asked for my password and didn't complain, but just didn't go away. I turned on "root" and tried again. Nothing has worked. Ideas?
    Thanks,
    Karl

Comment

Hi Karl,

Please send camille at osculator dot net an Apple System Report.
      To do that Option-click the Apple menu and choose "System Information…", then save the report and send it.

Thanks!
      Cam

Comment

Hi Karl,

Please send camille at osculator dot net an Apple System Report.
        To do that Option-click the Apple menu and choose "System Information…", then save the report and send it.

Thanks!
        Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,
          After your patient suggestions and help...
          Success!!
          I don't know if it was the clean install or 10.9 and we'll never know, but it works.
          Thanks so much for your help!
          Cheers,
          Karl

Comment

Much appreciated Karl, cheers!

Comment

I am trying to connect my WiiMotes to a new iMac running El Capitan. I have 4 different WiiMotes and none of them are connecting. All of them are exhibiting the same behavior:

- It asks me to press the red button
              - I press the red button
              - It switches to "Running..." (most of the time)
              - Approximately 5 seconds goes by and then the loading wheel stops
              - The program is somewhat frozen and it never pairs.
              - After a while, the frozen loading wheel is still there and the "Start Pairing" button can be pressed again

I have disable the SIP thing in El Capitan, reinstalled, restarted, and running that terminal command does not produce a version number. Please assist. Thank you.

Comment

Definitely the problem is related to SIP.
                Apple has enabled a new default security oriented featured called System Integrity Protection, often called rootless or SIP, in Mac OS from versions 10.11 onward. The SIP / rootless feature is aime…

After deactivate it, now osculator can recognize and read data from the wiimote.

Now I am having other problem, I can not read anything on the 9000 port from processing.

Comment

Hello Julian,

I am sorry but it is a bad idea to shut-off SIP. I don't recommend this anymore (since version 2.13.3), now that the OSCulator kernel extension is duly codesigned.

Things to consider:
                  1. OSCulator 2.12 and better does not need a kernel extension to pair and connect to the Wiimote. Only previous version (2.11 and before) needed such a kernel extension. SIP is relevant only when dealing with (unsigned or improperly signed) kernel extension.
                  2. OSCulator does have a kernel extension but its sole purpose is to expose a virtual HID joystick to the operating system. It is optional to install it.

I would like to make it clear: kernel extension is not needed to use a Wiimote, and therefore SIP disabling is not needed, and not recommended.

The code snippet you sent show that you are sending OSC messages from OSCulator to Processing on port 9500, but Processing is listening on port 9000.

Best,
                  Camille

Comment

Thank you for the advice Camille.
                    You are right, there was my mistake and now everything os working perfect, at least I am reading data from procesing.

Comment

Working...
                    X