Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connection fails, yes I've been following instructions!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection fails, yes I've been following instructions!!

I have used OSCulator plenty in the past, but not for a good year or more and I've never had a problem with it. I have the same laptop and the same genuine Nintendo controller I've used successfully in the past. The blue LEDs at the bottom just keep on flashing and Osculator isn't showing any connection. I have deleted the device from Blue tooth preferences, ensured the virtual joystick extension isn't loaded. I found a post (lost now) that said to repair a faulty pairing, delete the device from bluetooth prefs and then alt-click on the pairing button in osculator. So I've tried that. I have followed the instructions in this post to the letter. When I start pairing in osculator (from a state where the device doesn't show up in bluetooth prefs, I'm not using this to do the pairing, just see if it has worked). I press the start pairing button, then press the red button inside the wiimote. Pressing this seems to instantly kick osculator out of pairing mode, the yellow message in the status bar disappears as soon as I press the button. The bluetooth logo in my macs menu bar shows the connected logo, with the dashes, and if I look in blue tooth prefs, the wiimote shows up as paired and connected. But no button presses are getting through to osculator at all. It shows no device address in the device list in the drawer like it should and recognises no signal from the wiimote at all. The four leds on the wiimote just keep on flashing as if it was still trying to pair, despite OSX showing it as paired. The only way to stop them is to remove a battery. This is now driving me mad. I've tried deleting the pairing in bluetooth prefs and checking and unchecking the virtual joystick option to ensure it's correctly uninstalled. Restarted the computer and tried again from scratch but with no luck whatsoever.

One last piece of information, every now and then I've seen a red message pop up very briefly at the bottom of the osculator window that saisy something like wii remote discovery code (188). It is gone far too fast to know if that is what it actually says, but I'm 80% sure the code is 188.

If I don't try pairing, just press one of the buttons on the wiimote after I put the batteries in, as you would to connect if pairing had worked, it connects to the computer, the four lights start endlessly flashing, but osculator still doesn't see it.

I know this issue keeps popping up, but I've been through the forum, followed the instructions, have latest version of osculator, have a compatible device and have had it working successfully in the past.

OSX 10.6.8

Hi,

Thank you for the neatly detailed description.

I got feedback from about 4 users that had problems with their Wiimotes on Mac OS X 10.6.8 computers. I have yet to understand what is happening. One of them uninstalled McAfee and solved the problem. Another couple of them managed to solve their problem by resetting the Bluetooth daemon. As a last resort, more on this at the end of this post.

Your message indicates strong hints that you have a wrong version of the OSCulator kernel extension. This kernel extension is not used anymore for Wiimotes and should not be used with the new connection procedure. It should have been automatically upgraded, but it may have failed to do so.

Firstly I would verify the version of this kernel extension. If you have the wrong version, then we can try installing the correct version and things should be smooth and happy again.

Download the attached file, unzip it, then double click on the file. This will launch the Terminal application, and display some output. You should see something like this:

Code:
    Last login: Tue Sep 24 12:38:31 on ttys000
    tortilla:~$ /Users/camille/Downloads/OSCulatorKext-Info.command ; exit;
    Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
       95    0 0xffffff7f80a96000 0x6000     0x6000     net.osculator.driver.OSCulatorIOKit (2.2.0) <92 27 5 4 3>
    logout

[Process completed]
    If the extension is not installed, there is no line with net.osculator.driver.OSCulatorIOKit and that's a bummer. Otherwise, just after net.osculator.driver.OSCulatorIOKit, is a version number. Here we have version 2.2.0, that's good.
    Anything higher than version 2.0.0 is OK. Anything with version 1.0.0 but below 2.0.0 is wrong when used with OSCulator 2.12 and higher.

If you have the wrong extension, there's an easy fix. Open OSCulator, go to Preferences, and display the Outputs tab. Then uncheck the "Install the Virtual Joystick kernel extension" button (assuming you have the lastest version of OSCulator). Restart your computer. You can now proceed to pairing your Wiimote, disconnect it, and connect it again by pressing any button until OSCulator picks the signal.

If the right extension or no extension was installed, then it's complicated and you might want to try to reset the Bluetooth daemon. To do that, open Activity Monitor, search for blued, select it and click on Quit Process, then choose Force Quit. Restart your computer, and try to pair the Wiimote again.

So to sum it up:
    • Check McAfee is not installed on your computer.
    • Check the OSCulator kernel extension is either not installed, or has the correct version.
    • Restart blued.

If none of these work, you will have to revert to an older version of OSCulator like 2.11.2.2 that is the last version using the legacy connection procedure.

Best,
    Cam
    Attached Files

Comment

Tried all of this. I'm still having this problem.

Done now all of this. Was working for years. Don't believe I made any changes (did replace battery and touchpad...)

Have newest version 2.13.2

Used command to verify kernel extension version 2.2

Wiimote shows up in system bluetooth dropdown as "Nintendo RCV-CNT-01"

Osculator says "push the red button", which goes away when I push the red button. However, it does not connect to Osculator...and all 4 lights keep on blinking.

I even tried the 2.11.whatever legacy version you linked, and THAT didn't even work. Please oh please, what else can I do?

Thanks...awesome product when it works.

Comment

Oh, also...installing the legacy version, and now back to the newest version cleared the default document, which I can't find now. Where are they by default?

Comment

So I figured out that I'd been saving my OSC templates in a subfolder of the applications folder, which got wiped when I installed the legacy version. Fortunately I pulled them out of backup.

However, my original issue remains. Unable to get WiiMote to stop blinking lights and actually connect (see above)

Comment

Hi DJ Peter Henry!

You must first pair your Wiimote and then connect it.
            Pairing is done only once and requires you to press the red button.
            Once it is done you don't need to perform this step anymore.
            Then, to connect your Wiimote, press any button repeatedly until the Wiimote connected to the computer with which it has been paired.

Best,
            Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
              Hi DJ Peter Henry!

You must first pair your Wiimote and then connect it.
              Pairing is done only once and requires you to press the red button.
              Once it is done you don't need to perform this step anymore.
              Then, to connect your Wiimote, press any button repeatedly until the Wiimote connected to the computer with which it has been paired.

Best,
              Cam
              Thanks for the reply. I do hit the red button, which makes the "push the red button" message go away (this, in addition to the device showing as a connected bluetooth device in the finder menu bar, shows that the wiimote is connecting to the computer). However, the 4 LEDs just keep on blinking, and the wiimote does not show up in the wiimote drawer as it used to.

Comment

What operating system version is installed on your computer and what computer model is it?

Comment

OSX 10.8.5 on a 2010 13" Macbook Pro.

Again, I used to use osculator regularly without difficulty (even the 2.12.x version I believe...)

Comment

Any ideas? Is there some way to really totally reset osculator and bluetooth devices or something?

Comment

Hi Peter,

I am sorry I have no clear idea what is happening.
                      I've read through your previous posts again and from what I understand I can see only two possibilities :
                      1. A previous version of the kernel extension is installed. It should be removed, and your computer restarted, problem fixed.
                      2. It could be a faulty bluetooth adapter, I've had several users on this forum with this problem after a while of extensive usage.

Best,
                      Cam

Comment

Thanks for replying. As I mentioned, I have verified the current version of the kernel extension using your supplied file earlier in this thread. Also, the bluetooth adapter does SEE the wiimote in the dropdown. I really doubt it's a "partially" faulty bluetooth adapter. Any other ideas? Is there some sort of debug output or build we could try to see where osculator is failing?

Comment

OSCulator does not store outstanding data about the remote except its identifier, so there is no reason to reset anything in OSCulator.

You could try to remove every devices from your Bluetooth panel, then open Activity Monitor and "Force Quit" the "blued" process, then restart your computer.

A Wiimote with forever blinking leds and no connection to OSCulator means that OSCulator never knew that a Wiimote tried to connect. Therefore if the operating system does not notify OSCulator of a connection attempt, it is possible that the bluetooth stack is corrupted, that the wrong version of the kernel extension is installed, or that your Wiimote is faulty.

Have you tried on another computer, or with another remote?

I have a script to run OSCulator with debug output, please write an email to camille at osculator dot net so I send it to you.

Comment

I just want to say that I've solved my problem. My issue was that I had also installed USB overdrive. It turns out that USB overdrive somehow intercepts the HID connection preventing the Wiimote from connecting. Other low-level HID programs might cause this as well...

Comment

Thanks for letting us know Peter!
                              Glad your problem is now gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X