Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple iPads, TouchOSC and Osculator

[COLOR=#]Hi,

I've not been able to find any definitive answers on this, so though I'd ask! Some of it is not 100% osculator but I wondered whether you might know the answer anyway?

I've got 3 ipads which I'm able to use with Logic X; 1 as TouchOSC's 'LogicPad', 1 as a home made TouchOSC CC fader command (8 or so cc faders only) and one as a keyboard command grid that runs through Osculator. Each ipad is doing a different task to the others.

I can set them up individually using the default ports 7000 and 9000 (8000 for osculator) and it all works well.

I ran into a few problems when trying to get all 3 working at once though.

What's the correct/best way to sort out ports? If I have multiple ipads with the same incoming and outgoing ports, that seems to cause a few problems. Should I renumber for each ipad?

If so, I've found that the LogicPad template requires the default numbers as re-numbering inside the Logic control surface window and the TouchOSC settings results in most things not working. Having my cc template on different numbers seems to work quite well albeit with some latency.

I'm also running into osculator 'misfiring' when buttons are pressed. When I press any of the 'key combos' via the ipad, 25-40% of the time it sends commands from some of the other buttons too. It seems to happen more as the gap between pressing buttons decreases (fast tapping results in huge numbers of wrong commands being sent). Could this be to do with the ports? Any ideas if not?

Thanks very much!

Jonik

[/COLOR]

Hi Jonik,

What's the correct/best way to sort out ports? If I have multiple ipads with the same incoming and outgoing ports, that seems to cause a few problems. Should I renumber for each ipad?
    [short answer]
    Each iPad must have a distinct OSC input port on your Mac, but the input port on the iPads does not matter, i.e., they can all be set to receive data on 8000.

[not-so-long answer]
    Please have a look at OSCulator User's Manual, the first chapter explains in simple terms (I hope!) how IP networking works.

If so, I've found that the LogicPad template requires the default numbers as re-numbering inside the Logic control surface window and the TouchOSC settings results in most things not working.
    Logic takes care of assigning local port numbers, you should not have to change them.

Having my cc template on different numbers seems to work quite well albeit with some latency.
    How is that 'latency'?
    Port numbers have no effect of performance.

I'm also running into osculator 'misfiring' when buttons are pressed. When I press any of the 'key combos' via the ipad, 25-40% of the time it sends commands from some of the other buttons too. It seems to happen more as the gap between pressing buttons decreases (fast tapping results in huge numbers of wrong commands being sent). Could this be to do with the ports? Any ideas if not?
    I don't think it has any relationship with the port you use.
    If you were using the wrong port, there would be no communication, this is as simple.

I have no idea what happens, but it sounds like you have a bad Wifi network.
    Are you using a dedicated wireless router, or an ad-hoc network running on your Mac?

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hmm, thanks for the link to the manual, I should porbably have a closer read of it this time!

My thoughts for it being linked to the ports are mostly because on a separate machine (on the same network) I've got flawless performance with 1 ipad using the same osculator template - which would imply that the wifi network might not be the issue?

Thanks again,

Jonik

Comment

Hi Cam,

I've had several reads through of the manual and other bits of info and have got it all working perfectly on my macbook.

I'm still having issues with the Mac Pro (2014) at work though. I've started again by deleting the control surface preference and all of the touchOSC only iPads work perfectly. Using the exact same TouchOSC template and the same Osculator files as on my laptop I'm getting misfiring commands. This doesn't happen on my laptop with the same wifi network... Both the laptop and the Mac pro are ethernet wired to the network, and the ipads are wifi connected to the network.

The only thing I can see that is different is that on my laptop inside Logic X I have the Osculator logo in my control surfaces but not on the mac pro's control surface list, and I can't figure out why its missing. Is there something I've not installed? Will this solve the issue?

One last Q. I've read on several (admittedly older) sites that Logic can't cope with multiple OSC control surfaces at once, but I've not found anything newer than 2011 on this. I want to be using at least 4 ipads as controllers with Logic (TouchOSC cc only, TouchOSC LogicPad, TouchOSC-Osculator key commands, Logic Remote by Apple) - is this actually supported?

Thanks very much for your support!

Jonik

Comment

Hi Camille,

Hope all is going well and glad to see this project is still going strong! I'm revisiting Osculator after a year or so, after discovering it has Wacom support. I'm looking to build some tablet instruments, which I'd like to use with two hands. My questions are:

1. Is the Bamboo Fun Medium (CTH-661) tablet supported? (It has both pen and touch capabilities).

2. Does it work with both touch and pen or just the pen?

3. Could it support two pens?

4. Is there currently any multitouch support? If so, how is it handled? If not, are there any plans to add any in future?

Thanks,

Comment

Hi Atif,

My answers:

1. Yes and no. The Pen events are sent to OSCulator as standard Wacom pen events, however for Bamboo devices Touch events are simulated through keyboard events (handled directly by the Wacom driver, not even going to OSCulator).

2. See my previous answer.

3. I don't think it will support two pens, it is my understanding that only Intuos devices support multiple tools. To be verified...

4. No multi-touch support, as it fails outside of the standard Wacom driver specification.

Best,
            Camille

Comment

Working...
            X