Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Super Newbie: Kyma and OSC only

Hi,

I've seen some others claiming to be "newbies". Based on their questions, that makes me pre-newbie.

I have a SSC paca connected to a Firepower FCA610 and a Mac. And 8 loudspeakers. The Mac and the paca are hard-wired into the network. No other devices, instruments, physical hardware of any kind.

I' don't know MIDI. The set-up is for acoustical research, and the folks at SSC say that the things I want to do can't be done with Kyma, but can be done with OSC.

So, where do I start just getting OSCulator and either Kyma, or paca directly, speak to one another? I'm looking, I guess for "Hello World". If I "Manually Create Message..." what message, type and value(s) can I give it to see if it does anything at all? Is there a particular good example Sound I should load up in Kyma?

Thus far, I've set OSCulator's Global Map to the same as what Kyma's using, left the port at 8000, and can see "beslime-..." UDP in the OSC routing. I can also see the FCA610 in the MIDI Inputs and MIDI Outputs.

Hi ubuntourist,

I' don't know MIDI. The set-up is for acoustical research, and the folks at SSC say that the things I want to do can't be done with Kyma, but can be done with OSC.
    A Pacarana cannot be used without Kyma. So I guess that you wanted to say that what you want to do cannot be performed with MIDI but with OSC.

OSCulator has specific Kyma support, but this is a bit different than what you would expect.
    It "talks" to your Pacarana via the Firewire interface. This was coded before there was an Ethernet port of Kyma hardware and before folks at SSC would implement OSC I/O.

So, you can use OSCulator to receive OSC input and output to your Pacarana's Firewire port, but I am not sure if that is exactly what you want to do. I would advise that you read about OSC support in Kyma and see how it works, then you would not need OSCulator.

Please let me know if you have any further question.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I meant that some of the things I'm trying to do cannot be done with CapyTalk, the Kyma Tools language. For example, I want to scan a specific directory for a list of files meeting a certain criteria, and then have them appear in a pull-down menu. The user selects from the pull-down menu and the file selected is then used as a parameter to a Kyma Sound. Carla said I couldn't do it with CapyTalk or the mechanisms provided within Kyma, but that I could do it with OSC. But I don't seem to find enough information on how to say "/osc/set/!parameter, 'filename'".

Although I'd prefer examples in Python, yesterday, I started fooling with SuperCollider, and was was able to get it to send "/hello" to OSCulator -- though the "World" parameter disappeared.

This morning, I'm finally figuring things out and managed to send a Note On and Note Off directly to the Paca with SuperCollider. So, I'm on my way... I think.
      Last edited by ubuntourist; 05-29-2015, 08:13 PM. Reason: Progress in learning since post.

Comment

Working...
      X