Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wii Remote Yaw Calibration

Hello everyone!

I am having issues regarding calibration of my yaw on my WiiPlus remote. Essentially, it seems that every time that the remote calibrates, my 0 to 1 range is in a different place. What I mean is that sometimes 1 is right in front of me, sometimes it's to my left, and sometimes it's behind me. This is difficult as it's inconsistent data.

I am working with PD, and I want to simply program it so that if I hold the Wii remote in the middle, it is at .5, left is 0 and right is at 1. Does anybody have any suggestions regarding this? Is there a right and wrong way to calibrate your Wii remote? I tried to look for key words in the manual and couldn't find the answer.

Thank you so much!

Hello,

Are you using the accelerometers or motion-plus based value of yaw?
    With proper calibration, the yaw direction should always be the same.

Best,
    Camille

Comment

Camille,

Thanks for the reply.

I am using the motion-plus based value of yaw. I decided to set a reset calibration button, and that has been working relatively consistently. Once in a while, it seems like the yaw gets off track really easily, and at times it's pretty steady. I've been messing around with it, and I feel like it works much better now.

Comment

When you use motion-plus based value, yaw is the only value (as opposed to roll and pitch) that is not influenced by the accelerometers and is just a integrated value of the raw gyros. Because of this integration process and the specifications of the gyros, yaw is subject to drifting, hence the "reset calibration" event.

I am surprised though that yaw has such different values right after calibration.

If it occurs again, and you can kind of isolate a way to reproduce the problem, please let me know!

Best,
        Cam

Comment

I restarted Osculator and it actually seems to be far more responsive than before. Using the reset button seems to have helped quite a bit as well. I think I also figured out that I'll basically have to have a reset button just in case. If I move the controller to far left and then try to come back, the data shifts. So I have to keep resetting every time that the remote is in the front position.

Comment

Working...
          X