No announcement yet.

newbie with a Behringer XR18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you get this resolved? xr18 uses the same basic OSC controls as x32. I discovered through Patrick's documentation that you have to send x32 /xremote command at regular intervals, less than 10s. My current workaround is that I'm using an ableton session and linking that /xremote command to midi beat clock. If you use Touch OSC though, you can have the iPad send regular /ping messages, then forward that as /xremote to the xr18.

Once you've "subscribed," using that /xremote message, you'll start seeing responses in your Osculator sesh every time you adjust anything in the xr18!

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey There.
      Why does this totally interesting conversation end here???

I need your help so badly!
      Just started working with osculator kind of seriously and I am already making tiny progress...
      My problems are pretty similar, as I bought an MR18 (which is besides better preamps, the exact same Mixer, with the exact software...) I was so proud, because I managed to have my MIDI-Controller (ICON Platform M+) sending Midi-Commands to Osculator, there I was able to translate them to OSC-Commands which are going into my Mixer (through the IP as mentioned (PORT 10024) and the mixer does react correctly YAY!
      BUUUUT: the way back doesn't work...meaning if I change anything inside the Mixer itself (via the ipad or mac editor) it doesn't change anything on my MIDI-Controller...
      Also I was working on the Midi/OSC trigger thing to solve that "MUTE" problem, but before my Mixer does not speak to Osculator at all, I think I should wait here...
      PLEASE help me!
      I know, that the components are working fine together, after lending a PC, where some guys made the effort to program a software (OSIMIDI) which, after a quick learning of the midi-Commands from the controller speaks fluently OSC with the Mixer - even keeping lights on the real switches as in the virtual editor...
      I hope you stoped the chatting, because one of you found a solution...
      Thank you guys!!!

Comment

Is somebody still on it?!

It would be so cool, to hear, if you managed it to work bidirectional....

Comment

Hey folks!

I've had bi-directional communications working for some time, and have made several screen-cap videos of me working through that process, for exactly this reason!

Per request! Here's how to map bi-directional controls To/From x32 and Ableton. This particular method will only work on a Mac. You will need Osculator ($2...

My Osculator document and Ableton session are included as a link in the video description as well. I'm using Ableton Live as a midi controller, but this applies to any midi map really.

What I *would* suggest, is using your mixer input messages as a starting point, then map those to your midi device, then manipulate your midi device controls once mapped and it *should* back-map automatically. If you *Don't* do that, you basically have to back-map everything manually, which is a pain in the butt.

Hope this helps!

Comment

@Runyonesque , back to your original question: have you tried splitting the incoming message from the console into lo/hi values? I ran into similar issues mapping Ableton mutes, and just had to play with the lo/hi triggers, then Midi CC scaling on the Ableton side.

Comment

Wow

Hey Richard.
              Thanks for that insanely quick reply!
              Just starting to watch your Video, but am already thankfull that I can go on with things!
              However, as I have a real MIDI-Controller and not a Software like ableton I can't find a Midi-Clock to Map the "X-remote" Command to...
              hm...
              Yesterday I got a message from the MR18 for the first time - saying "/xinfo" wich also gave me hope, that Iam not totally of track
              But you don't happen to have an idea what to use as a midi clock instead, do ya?
              Because, if i am running logic pro x or Qlab in the backround, I think it would interfear with OSCulator AND my midi controller...
              But for now, I will continue watching your Video
              Also I did write a hell of a lot OSC-Commands manually already, because I found the in the web and these where the only things i could do while getting sad that all the other things wont work probably

Originally posted by RichardBarley View Post
              Hey folks!

I've had bi-directional communications working for some time, and have made several screen-cap videos of me working through that process, for exactly this reason!

Per request! Here's how to map bi-directional controls To/From x32 and Ableton. This particular method will only work on a Mac. You will need Osculator ($2...

My Osculator document and Ableton session are included as a link in the video description as well. I'm using Ableton Live as a midi controller, but this applies to any midi map really.

What I *would* suggest, is using your mixer input messages as a starting point, then map those to your midi device, then manipulate your midi device controls once mapped and it *should* back-map automatically. If you *Don't* do that, you basically have to back-map everything manually, which is a pain in the butt.

Hope this helps!

Comment

@ Manulou - You need some kind of reciprocating generator to send that subscription message from osculator. It may not be possible with your controller, but it *could* be if you had a synth with an oscilator that could generate a 1Hz LFO CC message. In short, it doesn't matter what you use for that reciprocating value, so long as that subscription message is regularly generated *by* osculator.

@ Camille - if you're listening, this is the exact reason we'd talked about/I'd asked about the possibility of adding a generator function to future versions of Osculator. It would vastly simplify the process for generating those subscription messages!

Blessings,

Richard

Comment

Working...
                X