Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OSCulator 3.0 is here!

Hi clik,

Can't see a Lock option where it used to be, under the Routing dropdown...
    The UI changed a bit, OSCulator now leverages the Finder being able to lock documents.
    Note there was a bug in the first beta where input locking would not properly work, this is fixed now, so please run the automatic update.

About the UI: right now in version 3.0-beta, open a Finder window, choose File -> Get Info, and check the "Locked" checkbox. Not only, it does the right thing by preventing accidental overwrite of the file, but also OSCulator locks the inputs.

In a future version of OSCulator, you will be able to lock the document right from the main window. This will be a bit more intuitive I guess.

Scroll bar behaviour - can you tweak the Scalings page to shift the Out. max column to the left away from the scroll bar? I know this is only an issue because I have the 'Show Scroll Bars' set to 'Automatically based on mouse or trackpad' in Sierra's System Preferences/General... or maybe an OSCulator preference to override that systemwide behaviour?
    Good catch, this has always been quite annoying. I added dummy columns at the end of both the main list, and the scalings list so the hovering scroll bar does not get in the way. This change will be available on the next beta release, I'll post here when it's available.

Best,
    Cam

Hi Regarding the new feature
    • Wiimote TUIO output àla Wiimote Whiteboard

how this works

Hi balam,

Wiimote TUIO output àla Wiimote Whiteboard
    The idea is that you use the Wiimote as a basic IR camera, and OSCulator will track the coordinates of up to 4 bright dots.

The setup is as follows:
    • The wiimote is on a stand, facing a screen (possibily a large projection on a wall)
    • You use a IR light source, placed close to the screen plane to act as a pointer

See this video of Johnny Lee demonstrating the concept.

Before you can use the Whiteboard emulation, you have to calibrate OSCulator. You do this by launching the calibration tool. 4 bullseyes will be displayed, and for each bullseye, you must flash your IR light once. Once the 4 corners are calibrated, you can dismiss the calibration window, and start doing whatever you want with the signal from OSCulator.

Cam

Hello!

I'm still having some trouble figuring out how to lock input in the beta (version: 3.0-beta-26-gab18a5a). I tried locking the doc from the 'get info' window, but it didn't seem to change anything.

Also, just curious, is there any estimated timeframe for when a full release might be made??

Thanks!
    Paul

Hi Paul!

I'm still having some trouble figuring out how to lock input in the beta (version: 3.0-beta-26-gab18a5a). I tried locking the doc from the 'get info' window, but it didn't seem to change anything.
    I just tried with the version you mentionned and got the expected result:

When the document is locked from the Finder "Get Info" window, the OSCulator list becomes grey and no unknown OSC messages are accepted. Furthermore, you can't manually change or create a new mapping (formely known as preset), or change the OSC input port.

Conversely, when the "Locked" checkbox is unchecked, the message list becomes editable again and OSCulator creates a new entry for received unknown OSC messages.

If it did not behave that way on your side, I'd be happy to have a closer look at your osc3 file. Please send it to camille@osculator.net.

Also, just curious, is there any estimated timeframe for when a full release might be made??
    The current beta seems pretty stable. I know there is a bug crashing the app when a window is closed but it seems it only happens randomly, so it is a bit hard to track.

I wished I got more user feedback, though I can see the beta program had some good success. If I can find some time next couple of weeks, I will roll a golden master candidate and make it the default download.

As always, your suggestions are welcome.

Best,
    Cam

Thank you for the quick reply!

Quote Originally Posted by camille View Post
    I just tried with the version you mentionned and got the expected result:
    When the document is locked from the Finder "Get Info" window, the OSCulator list becomes grey and no unknown OSC messages are accepted. Furthermore, you can't manually change or create a new mapping (formely known as preset), or change the OSC input port.
    Conversely, when the "Locked" checkbox is unchecked, the message list becomes editable again and OSCulator creates a new entry for received unknown OSC messages.
    If it did not behave that way on your side, I'd be happy to have a closer look at your osc3 file. Please send it to camille@osculator.net.
    I will certainly do that! Also, just for reference, here is a screen grab of the info window and OSCulator:
    Screen Shot 2016-10-28 at 11.01.53 AM.jpg

Also, it is worth noting that I am running into this issue while using macOS Sierra. I have not tried the beta on any previous OS versions.

Quote Originally Posted by camille View Post
    The current beta seems pretty stable. I know there is a bug crashing the app when a window is closed but it seems it only happens randomly, so it is a bit hard to track.
    I wished I got more user feedback, though I can see the beta program had some good success. If I can find some time next couple of weeks, I will roll a golden master candidate and make it the default download.

As always, your suggestions are welcome.
    Awesome! I agree, the beta seems very stable (apart from the current issue I am having). I haven't run into any crashes, but if I do I will be sure to send you the crash reports!

Thanks again!
    Paul

Hi Paul,

I just released OSCulator 3.0 release candidate 1.
    The locking problem on macOS Sierra should be fixed now, and you can lock the file (and consequently locking the OSC input) right from OSCulator.

Cam

Awesome!!
    It's working as expected on my system as well. Thank you so much for the fast turnaround on the update!!

Cheers,
    Paul

Serious User
    Hi Camille - good to see documents can be locked, again, and that the columns on the Scalings page have been pushed left - no more fighting the damn scroll bar!

When opening the parameters pane, OSCulator displays the Wiimote 'panel' by default - it's top of the list I guess - but for my setup, I only need to access the MIDI panel: could that behaviour be changed in a future update so the parameters pane reopens with the same panel as the last time? Or else reorder those 5 panels somehow, or collapse , or mute the unused ones?

Request: love the Turbo Assign key trick - a great time saver - but Option key only assigns ascending values... an Option + Shift for descending values would be very useful too.
    Last edited by clik; 11-03-2016 at 04:44 PM.

You are right, UI restoration still need a lot of works.

- I quickly implemented your suggestion, though I might revisit this properly later.
    - The reversed turbo assign was implemented as well. Works for MIDI channels as well.

Those changes will be published in 3.0-rc2.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast