Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with sending (multiple) sysex messages

hi there.

i'm trying to speak with my vintage controller jl cooper cs-10. controlling reaper or other daws is pretty simple, but the leds and the display of the cs-10 are working with incoming sysex-messages only (this is an official limitation of the hardware). now i want to use osculator for translating the reaper osc-feedback into sysex-messages for the cs-10 (working), to have visual feedback (not really working).

i was able to switch leds on via sysex and "sometimes" to switch off later, but i'm not able to toggle them reliably? it could be a hardware-limitation too, but i can't find deeper informations for this old controller. or did i misunderstood basic principles of sysex or osculator?
    for example the sysex for switching on the track 4-led is F0 15 15 00 03 7F F7 and the message for switching off again F0 15 15 00 03 00 F7 (if it helps). is there an command needed, to "refresh"?

thank you!

Hi !

It would help to share your osc3 file, even though I don't expect to find anything wrong (you can attach file in this forum, or if you prefer you can send it to camille at osculator dot net).

Another thing you could try is to monitor the outgoing MIDI messages, to see if what is sent to the controller is what you expect.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

… thanks a lot! the attachment contains a simplified version with two buttons (one & off).
      strange thing is, that there is no output-log or interface-activity? (tested a simple midi-note
      and there is life again?)

best regards
      stoltenberg
      Attached Files

Comment

There is an input/output monitor in OSCulator: in the main window, check the triangle on the bottom right corner.

I had a look at your file and I would suggest you check the box "Send repeated values" in the definition of your MIDI templates. The idea is the following: your message contains no substitution (no datum is replaced in the MIDI template), therefore it never changes. By default, the behaviour is to send only varying values, but you obviously want to send identical messages, therefore the checkbox needs to be enabled.

Wether the default behaviours is the correct choice is a question we shall discuss...

Let me know if my suggestion helps!

Comment

cool, thanks a lot! never mind this tiny checkbox, now the led is flashing for a blink of an eye :-)
          this is realy a step forward for me. but do you have an idea, to keep it shining? ;-)

Comment

It's difficult to tell since I don't know how the OSC messages are sent to OSCulator, and how your MIDI controller is supposed to interpret the SysEx. I would advise you look at the message monitor and see what is happening.

Comment

hi camille,

the possibilities of osculator are fascinating. as newcomer (to the osc- and the sysex-worlds) its hard for me, to figure out, what is possible and what is not?

for example reaper is sending
              /track/4/select ,f 1.00
              when track 4 is selected. when switching to channel 5, the osc-messages are
              /track/4/select ,f 0.00
              /track/5/select ,f 1.00

so my script on /track/4/select is triggered two times.
              i tried to work with substitution or "send when"-values, but i can't find any differences.
              perhaps my scenario is too complex? the channel-led are special, because they are not toggling, but switched off through their »neighbors« …

thanks
              stoltenberg

Comment

I would create a MIDI Template that has the 6-th byte substituted with the incoming OSC value. This way the same template would allow for track/on and track/off.

See this screenshot :

Track Select.jpg

I also attached a modified version of your file with the suggested modification.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X