Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you send regularly repeated ping messages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you send regularly repeated ping messages?

Hey folks!

So I'm also working on some x32/m32 show controls. I've got OSC sends figured out no problem. Getting the console to respond, however, is another story. After a bunch of research and some trial and error I finally found out that you actually have to send x32 an, "/xremote," command at regular (<10s,) intervals in order to continue to get return data from the console. Is there a way to regularly send out an /xremote command at, say, 9s intervals using Osculator?

I can definitely do it in Ableton using a midi clip and/or clock division. But it would be more useful to me to have Osculator be able to do this as a standalone thing.

Thoughts?

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately no.

Would you like to have a timer built-in OSCulator?

If you're going the Ableton route, maybe you can just try to send the MTC to OSCulator and use one of the subdivision message. This way you wouldn't need to create a specific track.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Hi Camille,

MTC subdivision was my current work-around with Ableton. It's okay for this particular application, but a built-in timer or ping message on a timer would be useful in other contexts! Touch OSC on iPad actually has a, "send Ping (/ping)" option and you can specify the interval. Something like that would be perfect!

I'm finding more often with some of my osc builds that I have to "subscribe," to console data regularly, so if you find time to add one in a future update I would be super grateful!!!

Blessings,

Richard

Comment

I would very much like to have a built in timer. I am working on a Chamsys MagicQ interface and it appears I have the same issue, I have to ask the console to send it's state so being able to do it automatically would save some headaches.

Thanks!
        Geoff

Originally posted by camille View Post
        Hi Richard,

Unfortunately no.

Would you like to have a timer built-in OSCulator?

If you're going the Ableton route, maybe you can just try to send the MTC to OSCulator and use one of the subdivision message. This way you wouldn't need to create a specific track.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, that's really useful.
          What kind of timer options do you need?

Comment

I am using an LED to represent the level of a fader and would like it to be dynamic enough to be close to real time. What I am doing could run on a variety of hardware so I don't know if everything will be top spec but I could imagine 1/4 or even 1/10 of a second. It would definitely take some testing to see what speed got in the way of the actual program.

Comment

Thanks, sounds good.

Comment

I don't think I ever responded to the timer question here Camille: X/M32 consoles need /xremote only @ 7.5s ish intervals, so my needs would be more of an occasional ping as opposed to a much quicker oscillator as wdwmedia has requested.

Comment

Working...
                X