Lemur and X32 bi-directional OSC communication using OSCulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lemur and X32 bi-directional OSC communication using OSCulator

I am basically trying to set up bi-directional feedback from my Behringer X32 rackmount mixer back to Lemur. So say when I change my Main LR Out level on the front panel of the rack, the fader I have set up in my Lemur template follows the level of the knob. I have gotten Lemur to send OSC to the X32 via Lemur using the osc.udp://"ip address of the mixer":10023. as a target in OSCulator.

I have followed the details on how to get the x32 to spit back OSC data I found in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylnGLB3ozog

My master level is showing up as /min/st/mix/fader which is correct. I just can't figure out how to get it to send back to Lemur. I know that Lemur is hard coded to listen on OSC port 8000.

What are my next steps?

Hi DBNoisemaker,

You should first specify the IP address of your Lemur.
    In the Parameters Window, OSC tab, add a new OSC Target just like your did for the X32.

The next step is to create OSC Routings for your Lemur's controls. Use the previously defined target to properly send OSC message to Lemur.

Finally, once you have defined the OSC Target and the OSC Routings, you have to map incoming messages from the X32 to Lemur using OSC Messages. For each receive X32 message, choose an OSC Message event type, pick the relevant routing.

Please let me know if anything needs clarification.

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
      Hi DBNoisemaker,

You should first specify the IP address of your Lemur.
      In the Parameters Window, OSC tab, add a new OSC Target just like your did for the X32.
      So the IP address of my ipad is 192.168.0.4. Do I use the same "osc.udp://192.168.0.4" do I add":8000" at the end since lemur is hard coded to listen on port 8000?

The next step is to create OSC Routings for your Lemur's controls. Use the previously defined target to properly send OSC message to Lemur.
      I can create outgoing routings from Lemur to OSC but how do I create incoming routings from OSC to Lemur? which part of the OSC dialog box sets the input? and the "Value" tab in OSCulator, is that the IP address? or the specific OSC message to be sent?

Finally, once you have defined the OSC Target and the OSC Routings, you have to map incoming messages from the X32 to Lemur using OSC Messages. For each receive X32 message, choose an OSC Message event type, pick the relevant routing.
      I thought there was only one kind of OSC message type and that's the OSC message address, right? and is the relevant routing to the IP?
      check out my screenshots of the program and let me know what looks right and wrong. thanks Camille!

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.10.49 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-12 at 9.13.11 AM.png

Comment

i figured it out. all good here thanks

Comment

I'm also struggling with X32/M32 and OSC - let us know what you did to sort it pls - thanks

Comment

Screen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.49.18 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2019-01-11 at 4.23.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-01-11 at 3.48.57 PM.png
            K so this is kind of a mish mash and trial and error but basically to do it you have to have a DAW open, I use Ableton Live.

Have Osculator set as a MIDI target in Ableton prefs (mine is Osculator input 10022). Make sure the DAW is playing. Osculator will pick up the MTC as a message that can be routed other places. the/xremote argument is something that the X32 uses to spit out the OSC address back into Osculator from the x32, which you can see are all the OSC addresses in the OSC document that I've attached a screenshot. Set that target of /xremote to the IP of the x32, and port 10023(the port that the X32 listens to OSC data on). Target 2 is my ipad running lemur, and the OSC input port of lemur (8000).

Hit play on your DAW so you can see the activity of the MTC in OSCulator (should be green/yellow). What you have to do is go fader by fader, knob by knob, on the x32 or in the ipad app, the controls you want to have bi-directional feedback for. and you will see the OSC document filling up the the OSC addresses that the x32 sends back (which is also an excellent way of quickly seeing which OSC addresses the x32 takes, for your controller template). In my case, in the snapshot, 192.168.100.102 is the IP address of the Ipad, 8000 is the input port for lemur. Point these incoming OSC addresses back to Lemur.

Assuming you have a Lemur template with faders and things sending the same OSC messages to control the levels/controls in the X32 and it's working, this should work.
            Last edited by DBNoisemaker; 01-12-2019, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X