Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with Digital Performer

Hello guys,

I recently bought TouchOsc to control Digital Performer remotely. After a couple of days I understood that I need also Osculator to configure everything I want to use. Until now I only used 'key combos' and they work very well. Now I'm trying to work with Osc Routing but at the moment it doesn't work.
    The main problem is that Osculator doesn't receive messages from DP, and I think it's a connection problem...

In DP I added a Controller (Open Source Control) in the Control Surface Setup (input port 0)
    Then I opened my Osculator file which communicates with my Ipad in this way: 1) same wifi 2) input 8000 2) output 9000

In this way I can only send messages to DP but I can't receive them from DP. If I put the same input both for Osculator and DP the following message appears: "Routing Stopped: Port 8000 already in use"

Can someone explain to me how to setup this configuration? IPAD--->OSCULATOR--->DP and DP--->OSCULATOR--->IPAD
    I'm stuck at this point...
    Thanks

Hi!

Be able to control Digital Performer with OSC messages is not really easy from OSCulator, it is an advanced topic and I would really encourage anyone to read the "OSC Programming
    Guide for Digital Performer" found in the Help menu of DP).

In general OSC is more complex to use than MIDI because you have to know a little bit about networking. I recommend reading the beginning of the OSCulator Manual, it is not perfectly up-to-date but contains valuable information. More specifically it will tell you that you can not have a network port open in two different applications on the same computer. If OSCulator listens on port 8000, then DP should listen on another port, maybe 9000, the choice is yours.

Now, it begs the question wether you really want to use OSCulator between your iPad and DP. I understand you use OSCulator to trigger Key Combo at this points and that it makes sense to continue using it, but you are going to send OSC messages to OSCulator, that will forward them to Digital Performer without adding much benefit.

Good luck!

Best,
    Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
      Hi!

Be able to control Digital Performer with OSC messages is not really easy from OSCulator, it is an advanced topic and I would really encourage anyone to read the "OSC Programming
      Guide for Digital Performer" found in the Help menu of DP).

In general OSC is more complex to use than MIDI because you have to know a little bit about networking. I recommend reading the beginning of the OSCulator Manual, it is not perfectly up-to-date but contains valuable information. More specifically it will tell you that you can not have a network port open in two different applications on the same computer. If OSCulator listens on port 8000, then DP should listen on another port, maybe 9000, the choice is yours.

Now, it begs the question wether you really want to use OSCulator between your iPad and DP. I understand you use OSCulator to trigger Key Combo at this points and that it makes sense to continue using it, but you are going to send OSC messages to OSCulator, that will forward them to Digital Performer without adding much benefit.

Good luck!

Best,
      Cam
      Hi Cam,

Thank you for your reply. I tried to read both manuals but I am not exactly and expert in these things

Assuming that I would create a fader to control the volume of a selected track. Which is the right way to program it? Have I to use Osc necessarily to send data from my iPad and receive a feedback from the Daw?

Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't know DP enough to answer your question.
        Do you know if you can ask DP to "learn" a MIDI controller?

If so, I would simply suggest you use OSCulator to receive OSC from your iPad, and send MIDI to DP. This is usually sweet and easy with other DAWs.

Best,
        Cam

Comment

Originally posted by camille View Post
          Unfortunately, I don't know DP enough to answer your question.
          Do you know if you can ask DP to "learn" a MIDI controller?

If so, I would simply suggest you use OSCulator to receive OSC from your iPad, and send MIDI to DP. This is usually sweet and easy with other DAWs.

Best,
          Cam
          Yes of course it does. I already tried to do it so but it pretty usuless because if I record any automation, when the song is playing I can't receive what I recorded on my iPad.
          It is important to find a way to set Osculator bidirectionally, it should be cool to create a template that works well like the Logic's one.

Comment

Originally posted by vesdrajo View Post
            Yes of course it does. I already tried to do it so but it pretty usuless because if I record any automation, when the song is playing I can't receive what I recorded on my iPad.
            It is important to find a way to set Osculator bidirectionally, it should be cool to create a template that works well like the Logic's one.
            I would love this too.

Comment

Working...
            X