Please separate out Note On and Off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please separate out Note On and Off.

It's great that I can get a quick note out via Osculator or a bunch of fast repeated notes, but what I really want is to trigger Note On and Note Off as separate events.

PRETTY PLEASE!!!

Hi,

What is your note trigger?

What input are you using?

Maybe there is a solution without adding duplicate elements to the Events menu.

On the other hand, if you want to do polyphonic MIDI Note On/Off, out of a single OSC message, there is a power user solution for you: You can use the "Note Param / Index" event, to tell the MIDI note which voice should be on or off. (I should really change Index to Voice by the way).

Just tell me what you are trying to do, and maybe there's a good solution.

Best,

Cam

Comment

Well, using the Wii to MIDI notes example routing to Live 7, the osculator. Using a button to trigger MIDI Note w/ Params. What I wish was that MIDI Note w/Params was a toggle or latch function - so that when I press the button it starts the note and when I release (or press it again) the Note Off is sent.

Comment

OK, I see.

Maybe if you want to trigger clips in Live you can use the "MIDI CC" event instead of a note if that is possible for you. This way, you assign this event in Live to a clip play button. Pressing once will start it and one another press will stop it.

For MIDI Notes, I will think about what I can do …

Thanks,

Cam

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking specifically for notes - to play soft synths.

Though, your bringing up clips has me thinking I should be able to create a workaround for now using dummy clips.

Comment

ah, good solution.

anyway, I'll add a support ticket to think about this issue and find a good solution.

Comment

I would also love to see this. Any progress here?

Comment

Good point, Matth.

It occurs that I have not found an elegant way to do this, and as a matter of fact this feature has been the victim of heavy procrastination.

I could simply separate MIDI Note event as 'on' and 'off' events but there are some problems :

1. I would have to do this for every MIDI note types (Kyma, MIDI w/ Params, MIDI Note, etc.) …

2. … which would substantially multiply the count of menu items

So I'm thinking about something more general.

Today, I discussed with a friend of mine about the possibility to handle double-clicks (convert a double-click on a button to a single event) and other sorts of special events. He is using a Wiimote, but we thought it should be device agnostic.

So, my idea would be to have a new kind of Meta event, a Trigger Transformer (event type). The event values would be a choice between "Double-click", "Trigger to toggle" (this is what we are discussing here), and perhaps other transformers.

Thus, when you use a "trigger to toggle", a new message would appear (for example "/wii/1/button/1/toggle"), to which you could assign a Note event, that would be toggled between on and off.

I think this is a nice an general solution, and see wether I can integrate this before the final 2.9 release.

Cam

Comment

Working...
                X